WTB Conrad-Johnson D/A-2b

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

WTB Conrad-Johnson D/A-2b

Post by Billy Budapest »

I am looking for a Conrad-Johnson D/A-2b. Thanks! Eric
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WTB Conrad-Johnson D/A-2b

Post by admin »

I just sold mine to a user here on CJO this past month. It seems like a sought after unit. It really does sound wonderful and I do have a little regret about letting it go but I really don't have the room for 3 DACs. If you can, try to get one with the optional optical input.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I will need one with an optical input for the application I am envisioning. I have a HD-3 for USB DAC duties.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I recently decided to upgrade my DAC and looked at the HD-3. The only reason I decided not to go with it was the lack of support for higher sampled music. I really wish CJ would branch out into other equipment but they really seem to be refocusing on preamps/amps. There headphone amp is the only "outside the box" product currently,... and that is just a specialized preamp/amp. I really miss my D/A-2b but looking forward to getting the new DAC into the system (Holo Audio May DAC, KTE edition).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The Holo Audio May KTE DAC has been very well received. I'm looking forward to your take on it.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm I recently decided to upgrade my DAC and looked at the HD-3. The only reason I decided not to go with it was the lack of support for higher sampled music. I really wish CJ would branch out into other equipment but they really seem to be refocusing on preamps/amps. There headphone amp is the only "outside the box" product currently,... and that is just a specialized preamp/amp. I really miss my D/A-2b but looking forward to getting the new DAC into the system (Holo Audio May DAC, KTE edition).
The HD3 supports up to 24/96 which is overkill, IMHO. I have Roon convert the 24/192, 24/176.4, and DSD64 tracks I have to 24/96 when it streams. There is really no benefit to sample rates higher than 96kHz (and truthfully, very little benefit to sample rates above 44.1kHz). That’s a story for another day, though.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

I loved the sound of the D/A-2b, but HD-3 was better except for a bit of midrange magic that the tubes imparted. I sold to my D/A-2b to the Admin here when I got the HD-3. I have since sold the HD-3 and got the Holo Audio May KTE. It's by far the best DAC I have ever owned.