Various CJ Upgrades

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: Various CJ Upgrades

Post by DayRadebaugh »

...I suggest, if possible get hold of a good tech in your area or somewhere, have them check out the amps from top to bottom for what it's worth...

Will do exactly that, and thanks for the suggestions. This has been very helpful.

By the way, on those 6GK5 tubes, Jeff said that they couldn't find any that were "low noise". He also said that repair of these vintage units was sometimes impossible if they require new metal, which they no longer have.

On the upgrade of the Premier 8 to 8A, he said the 8A had a new circuit board, which had not been available for a decades. The clock is ticking on these things.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, I understand the points JF is stating, seems like they don't have the resources to revamp the Prem8 back to their original spec. It's also probably a waste of time and resources, afterall they're running a business not a charity, that's just my opinion.

Nonetheless, they've offered a full overhaul based close to original spec and they want nearly 6grand for the job, that's basically running a business...

The core advantage I had back in the day when we sold quite a number of Premier gear, is that we were always in touch with our Sth East Asian techs. Since we were very far away from the US, we couldn't always access CJ HQ's. So we obtained genuine parts from CJ and got the job done by local tech experts. Like I said they're located all over the world, not only in these companies.

The disadvantage you're going to have is sourcing original parts, that's a definite issue. Apart from that, sourcing the right tubes shouldn't be an issue, there are plenty of suppliers, it's just finding the right type of tube. So you'll have to look around, and not get too discouraged by JF's feedback. Like I said they're more focused on new gear...

Back in the day, we used to source parts from all over the world, Japan, Germany, Spore, HK, Holland, US and UK. All of us were in touch via our dealer network, so any parts, alternative parts from caps, diodes, resistors, trannys, and so on could be sourced, except for CJ faceplates, logos etc. Whatever was proprietary to them.

Obviously now things have changed, ownership has changed, many dealers no longer exist, and businesses are running on on-line platforms... very different to our day.

So, what I'm trying to say is, if there's a will there's a way!

You might be able to source tubes and whatever required as close to the original as possible.

The decision is yours.
Best, RJ
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Truth71---

I'm glad to hear that, because my freshly repaired Premier 14 is sitting here in its new CJ box. At least I can offer it and not have to tell someone it's obsolete. My repaired Premier 8 is coming back Monday. Reports forthcoming.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As Truth71 pointed out, Upscale and others have the 6gk5’s in stock.

The bad news is that they’re no longer shipping outside of the US and Canada.

Kevin’s website says that they’ve got good ones suitable for preamps (low noise, low microphonics).
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Thanks. Maybe it's time to get a few and stock up.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Here's my inventory:

In boxes, fresh from CJ repair: Premier 14 sitting on top of Premier 8
Next to it: Original Premier 8 in original box
Attachments
66205282359__29D119BF-B5EB-4E6A-BC8E-8FAE9A75BE03.jpg
66205282359__29D119BF-B5EB-4E6A-BC8E-8FAE9A75BE03.jpg (431.74 KiB) Viewed 975 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Looks great! Nothing like the smell of fresh boxes on Christmas morning. 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can't think of a better x-mas present to arrive! Let us know how it sounds when hooked up.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

I'm glad I sent my Premier 8 and 14 back for repair. However, it may be time to offer these units to someone who would put them into service and enjoy them going forward. Would anyone be interested in a Premier 14 and a Premier 8, both just back from factory repair and unopened, as well as a second Premier 8 that was operational when I packed it up?

If this question belongs in another area, please let me know.

Thanks
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Your best chance is to post in the classified section with asking prices. US Audiomart might be worthwhile too. Audiogon, eBay too.

Another option is to sell them to tmraudio.com. They make a fare offer and pay the shipping. No fuss. No muss.

Update 1/14/22

Offers seem lower than in past. They’ve taken on a lot of overhead this year. You’ve got to pay attention if you’re selling them anything.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

I think I'm ready to sell the Premier 8's at least. Would appreciate your opinions on whether I should offer them as a pair either

1. one refurbed by CJ, still in the new CJ shipping box, the other as is, but working when I packed it in its original carton
2. send the unrestored one back to CJ for checkout and repacking, and offer the pair as both checked and repaired by CJ and repacked in their new cartons?

Thanks
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

I'd vote for option # 2, as I think it would make it easier to sell them, and "net-net" at the end you'd receive a higher payment.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I dunno. You’ll probably get more if they’ve both been refurbished. But at what cost?

You’ve got to be realistic about asking price. Guys think they’re going to get 5 figures and then they sit, literally for years. A pair of LP260M SEs has been languishing in limbo for over a year at $8k, unless it’s recently sold. Some Premier 8s, don’t remember the specific incarnation, has gone through a bunch of auction cycles with a $6995 opening bid request, but no bidders.

Nevertheless, since one had to go back, a rational buyer will wonder about the other if it hasn’t also been back to the factory.

These are great amps, but unless they’re on someone’s bucket list, their age, even after restoration, works against them.

FWIW, I feel your pain. I am seriously thinking about selling my LP275Ms. They’re a lot newer than the Premier 8s, but they weigh as much. If mine were packed up, it would be an incentive to ship them rather to unpack them. 😉

I love these amps, but I can’t budge them without a strong helper. No worse than McIntosh… but hard all the same.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Appreciate your thoughts. I'm gettin too old to horse these around. I think I will send the other back to CJ to have a matched pair, add a bit to the price per pair and go for it. Being realistic about the price is absolutely right. They're very good amps, but pretty old; not terribly practical, but lovely in their way.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They are on some bucket lists. Truly exceptional!
bschott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bschott »

Depending on the age of the tubes in the bad unit it may just be a simple matter of one of those 6550s going south. Agree with Big Dog. Do a swap and see what happens. But if the current tubes are some NOS $$ brand then you may want to pick up a four pack of Soviet 6550WEs. That still will set you back some bucks but like I said, if your tube compliment is a pricey brand then at least you're not blowing those. If you're not comfortable sussing out what's going on take it to a local tech familiar with tube amps who'll look for any problems on power up.. power transformer overheating, tube over glow, smoking components, etc. Search for a tech who repairs guitar amps. Those guys believe it or not work on tube gear all the time and know what to look for. You'll know you've found him when he looks like a biker and is working out of a basement or attic and is surrounded by guitar player who look just like him.

I've alway felt that tubes are a walk on the wild side of audio.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Thanks very much for your thoughts. The current state of affairs is that I sent the broken Premier 8 to CJ and Jeff fixed it, put it in new packaging, and sent it back. On receipt, I sent him the other Premier 8 to check out and repackage. I'm waiting for that to come back, at which time I will have
a) a pair of checked out/repaired Premier 8's in new packaging from CJ
b) a Premier 14, also previously repaired and repacked by CJ.

I have not cracked open these packages, but intend the sell the lot as is. Hopefully on the market in a few weeks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's nice about that is you have two CJ restored and verified units. I think that will make it a lot easier to sell.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
DayRadebaugh
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by DayRadebaugh »

Thanks. Hopefully so.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

bschott wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:20 am Depending on the age of the tubes in the bad unit it may just be a simple matter of one of those 6550s going south. Agree with Big Dog. Do a swap and see what happens. But if the current tubes are some NOS $$ brand then you may want to pick up a four pack of Soviet 6550WEs. That still will set you back some bucks but like I said, if your tube compliment is a pricey brand then at least you're not blowing those. If you're not comfortable sussing out what's going on take it to a local tech familiar with tube amps who'll look for any problems on power up.. power transformer overheating, tube over glow, smoking components, etc. Search for a tech who repairs guitar amps. Those guys believe it or not work on tube gear all the time and know what to look for. You'll know you've found him when he looks like a biker and is working out of a basement or attic and is surrounded by guitar player who look just like him.

I've alway felt that tubes are a walk on the wild side of audio.
How very true mate! In fact my main tube supplier looks just like a bikie gang member, beard tatts & all... and most of all, is always repairing guitar amps with some fancy case work and heavy trannys... my main CJ tech chap also has this sort of chill vibe... very calm and collected and knows his stuff even by just looking at it! Something like the tube whisperer... if there ever was one. I know we have a Quad ESL whisperer, Jonny Hall, the man the legend! Very few good men left...
Cheers, RJ