Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
tm@itm.co.th
New User
New User

Post by tm@itm.co.th »

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member of CJO and working on my audio system to improve sound quality.
My system comprises Garrard 301, Audio Research CD8, CJ Art Preamplifier, CJPremier 8A Power Amplifier, McIntosh MC275 and JBL C50 Olympus Speakers.
It’s very challenging for me to improve the Premier 8A to be as good as the MC275.
Look forward to having and sharing information.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New Member

Post by roberto »

Hello and welcome,

Your 8A Premier power mono blocks are very good too. And I had the McIntosch 240 long time ago with a C22 preamp. Still have the pre.

Members with show with their recommendations...and I do love the sound precision of the 8A. Right amount with the bass, good sense of wide stage and very dynamics, really love them!

Welcome again,
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site and great to have you with us. Some really nice equipment you got there!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

tm@itm.co.th wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 am It’s very challenging for me to improve the Premier 8A to be as good as the MC275.
Look forward to having and sharing information.
If that’s true, you’ve probably got one of the very new 275s and an 8a in need of caps and tubes.

Or there is some artifact of 275 sound that you are keying on.

Back in the day, the 240’s were sweeter, but people chase the 275s because of the greater power. The proper 8a will give you greater sweetness and power than either, and will provide spatial cues with the right source, preamp, and speakers that no McIntosh is capable of.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Correcto mundo! Roger that!

Yes, welcome to CJO.

That gear, ART preamp and Prem8A's is exactly what I had, back in the day with Apogee Diva's. That's SOTA at CJ's top level back then and can still hold strong, if well looked after and well maintained...

As AJ pointed out, perhaps tubes, caps and few other items may require sprucing up a bit... replacements are in order, especially if those items are not upto McIntosh standard...???

If the ART pre and Prem8A's are up to spec, there's no turning point from there onwards, other than CJ's very own current top of the line, which is the GAT S2 and ART300's (we're talking over 50 grand just for a pre-power combination).

In all due respect, McIntosh? No chance mate, no chance at all. CJ is in another league! McIntosh is no where near CJ not even their entry level gear. CJ's design topology and parts are a different planet, there's just no comparison.

If you had mentioned something along the lines of Lamm Audio, VAC or ARC then we have a good comparison but certainly not McIntosh.

I'm also wondering whether those JBL speakers are upto the quality of CJ gear... So this is where perhaps the Mac gear may be more suited..I've heard a similar combination with the MC275 and it was quite nice actually.

About 10 yrs ago when I had Quads ESL 2905's, I actually tried a pair of MC275's in monoblock version and it was very nice partnered with my previous ACT2 preamp. However, later on I sold off the Mac amps to a die-hard Mac fan, and ventured back to CJ power amps. Partnered with the ACT2 it was totally in a different dimension.

I even tried out Mac's big tube monoblocks MC2301(nearly finalised the deal), and although they handled the Quad ESL's with ease, they weren't quite upto the overall finesse of CJ's tube gear.

Then again, perhaps that's the sound you actually prefer. By all means sit back and enjoy!
Certainly nice to see another SOTA combo though. Ah! The ART preamp and Prem8A's bring back so many great encounters, this was our very own personal reference system for many years. It surpassed every system we set up and sold, during demos people would just drop! Totally transfixed by the performance and life like presentation. It was in a class of its own.

Cheers, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

TM, are you based in Thailand by any chance?

If so, I used to be very close mates with the CJ importer. However, that was over 20yrs ago... I'm not too sure who the importers are now but it would be worth checking those Art and Prem8A's out. They need to be upto full spec. I'm not really sure whether you've actually listened to that combination at full spec, it's in a class if it's own.

If you really want serious improvement, you have to match CJ amplifiers with top quality speakers. Speakers that can deliver a true sense of realism, resolution, clarity, definition and detail. Also capable of reproducing a soundstage depth that you can actually stand up and feel the performers, where you can even shake their hands. This is the true quality of CJ's finest gear and they have to be matched with proper speakers, not party speakers. That's a completely different sound.

OTOH, if you're into that type of sound, then JBL's are great! However, you really don't need CJ gear to make such speakers perform their best.

Just my honest opinion and advice. Sorry if I come across as rude or arrogant, that's not my intention. We're happy to help, and I'm especially pleased to provide you with more details simply because I used to own that very combination.

They deserve the best speakers money can buy. First they need to be looked at because I don't think they're upto spec. These are much older gear but when brought back to life, you'll know straight away. Trust me, I know!

Cheers mate, all the best.
RJ