TEA2 SE HG valve compliment?

The PV-1 to now...
Bhope58122
Regular
Regular

TEA2 SE HG valve compliment?

Post by Bhope58122 »

Hi, all

I picked up a used CJ TEA2 SE HG last month which came with some new production Mullard tubes/valves installed. I've got no history on the valves so I'm considering experimenting with switching tubes/valves. The sound is sublime, but there is some background noise during silent passages of music which I'd like to lower, and figured the valves may be one of the reasons for the noise floor not being as low as I'd like.

Do any users on here care to share what they use in theirs, and in what position?

Thanks
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: TEA2 SE HG valve compliment?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

“The TEA2 circuit employs three twin-triode vacuum tubes – three type 12AX7 (V1, V2 and V3) for the TEA2HG and two 12AX7s (V1 and V2) and one 12AU7 (V3) for the TEA2LG.”

So in the case of the HG model, all three tubes are supposed to be 12AX7s.

I don’t remember what brand I installed last time I replaced tubes. You’ve got to pull off the top to check. By my habits, I expect the ones in mine are platinum grade from Upscale. Most likely a “normal price” version. No NOS or exotics. I used my TEA2MAX for a few weeks recently when my TEA1 had to go to CJ for R&R of the selection button. It was dead quiet and a great match for my ET7s2.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Upscale is selling again, but with some restrictions to thwart hoarders still in place.

Lots of 12AX7 choices are available.

https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/pr ... -new-stock

I’m probably using Tung Sol or EH, although I do have a few empty Mullard boxes out on the shelf (probably new production).
Bhope58122
Regular
Regular

Post by Bhope58122 »

Thanks. I'm in the UK so Upscale are out of the question for ordering. From what I gather the first gain stage is from a pair (do you know if these need to be matched?) the second gain stage is from the third 12AX7. I assume this doesn't need to be matched to the pair.

How do you rate the Tung Sol tubes? It's one brand I've not tried yet in other amps. I've had good success with Genalex Gold Lion which I'm tempted to try in the TEA2
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

V1 and V2 could benefit from matching. V3 matching is not necessary.

Maybe one of the tube connoisseurs will express an opinion. I am very sensitive to the noise floor and microphony, but generally a wide range of emissions performances are all “believable” so I’m pretty easy to please. FWIW, 12AX7s have been around a long time, and there are a lot of options. I know I’ve been happy in several 12AX7 applications with Tung Sol, EH, and Mullard. I can’t remember ever being specifically disappointed with a new 12AX7, unless it was noisy or microphonic.

FWIW Big Dog RJ buys tubes from English suppliers so he can probably suggest something.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

More important than matching tube for tube … these are twin triodes, so it is important that each side of the triode is close to the other side of the same tube. Balanced.

Anybody selling 12AX7s for preamp apps should know this.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, nice to see another TEA2SE owner. Superb phonostage!

I have the exact same one but after about a year of usage, I upgraded it to the MAX version. No noise whatsoever, absolute silence and outstanding playback from high quality LP's.

I now buy most of my tubes from Watford Valves UK, get in touch with Derek Rocco, he's a great chap to deal with and really knows his stuff.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sorry forgot to mention which type/ brand of tubes... all three are from Mullard. Excellent tubes!
Cheers, RJ