I took the plunge and upgraded big time!

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

I took the plunge and upgraded big time!

Post by Cjaylundgren »

For years I’ve been using a pair of Premier 12 monos, a Premier 15, and a Premier 16LS series 2 (all with C1 cap upgrades). Last year I got a great deal on a GAT Series 1. The improvement in my system was huge! That got me itching to upgrade the rest of my electronics chain (I’m not getting any younger!). Today I returned from CJ in Virginia. Jeff gave me a tour of his facility and a view of my new order in process which consists of a pair of ART300 monos, a TEA1S3b, and an upgrade of my GAT to a series 2. I can’t wait to get these babies up and running with the rest of my system. My impressions to follow…
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: I took the plunge and upgraded big time!

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That’s going to be superb!
I can’t wait to hear about it. When do you think they’ll be ready?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I really think your observation of the preamp upgrade’s impact is something too many dismiss as unlikely.

I have heard this impact over and over again. Of course you have to have good sources, and good amps and speakers. Everyone understands that. The lowly preamp is just supposed to be a switching box, and provide some small gain. How could it matter? And yet it does. In an otherwise decent system, even high end preamp changes, like going from a GAT1 to GAT2, are clearly audible.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, that is going to be a huge upgrade. Not to mention having the ability to tour the factory and see your own gear being upgraded must have been a real treat. You will have to let us know how it sounds when you get it all set up and running.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Attn: cjay L

Now that's a definite "upgrade!"

The GATS2 matched with the ART300's is most mighty impressive! Have heard this combination at length on several occasions with CLX's, Maggie 30.7's and ML Statements Evo-II's. On my last few trips, the GATS2 was passed on to another dealer as it was being used as their primary preamp in their reference demo room, so now the main preamp is the Momentum from Dan D's designs. With the ART300's this is an outstanding combination, it has been my point of reference to date.

However, just recently this person took delivery of the new ART108A's driving the CLX's and Alsyvox ribbons. Claims that the startling speed and sheer transparency matches better with these Class A monoblocks driving panels, and that I would agree simply because I'm using Class A monoblocks as well! There's just something to that full bodied tonality that gets it so right with Class A.

I believe the ART300s have a higher Class A bias than any of CJ's previous amplifiers and this makes a significant difference. That initial Class A bias whether it may be within the range of 50 - 80w makes a real impact before switching into Class AB.

I'm not sure how loud you listen to music, your listening habits or what speakers you have but I don't think you'll ever make those ART300's switch into Class AB, unless you listen really loud, and they can go really loud very effortlessly! So most of the time you'll be enjoying those fine tunes in Class A. Just sit back and enjoy!

Now deserves a mighty WOOF!!!
Cheers, RJ
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Looks like the equipment we be ready in about two weeks. Jeff really takes the time to run the equipment after assembly to make sure everything is working properly. The ART300’s we’re playing after being mostly assembled, minus the final dress metal. They certainly looks impressive in their “raw naked” state. Once all the components are complete, he will assemble them all and run the complete system once again to make sure all is well. Talk about quality control. Jeff has a passion for this gear and really takes the time to ensure all is well when the product goes out the door.
Just as a side note, I just installed and brand new Aurender N20 streamer/server in my system to replace a Sony HAP-Z1ES. The Sony box is good, but, oh my, what an impressive improvement the Aurender made.
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Hi Big Dog,

I believe you are absolutely correct on the A/AB operation.
Jeff had the amps playing fairly loud where the bias LED’s we’re just starting to flash. He said that’s about 10 watts of output.
I’m currently using Maggie 3 .7’s (not the i version). I believe the ART300’s will make them come alive.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think you are going to be really impressed with the ART300 / Maggie setup. I have a similar setup, ART amps and Magnepan 20.1's. It really is some of the best sound I have ever heard.

Just looked at the N20 streamer. That is an impressive unit. Temperature controlled clock, never seen that before.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes that's correct Cjay-L,

Even on the loudest passages in domestic settings, the most we would ever tolerate before going deaf is around 40- 50w. Anything into the range of 100w and over we're pretty much deaf... it's not pleasant nor enjoyable one bit at loudness that reachs rock concert levels.

So, one would ask in that case why are these amplifiers rated at over 100w... they can in fact deliver that kind of power full throttle but it's not at a continuous level that we will be listening at.

The ART300's don't flinch one bit under stress, regardless of load, they just cruise along... speaking of cruising along though, there's one thing I did notice on both units, the ART300 & ART150, is that they need to be cranked up a bit to experience their best. They don't work too well at very low to moderate levels, they like to thunder down!

I found this to be the very nature of the KT150 tubes, unlike the other KT series which can be enjoyed at the softest levels, the KT150 topology requires some humpty. When it gets going it's as if the live event is right in front of you, like you're part of the stage!

This sort of playback level is great if you're into that kind of stuff but for my listening habits, which take place well after midnight, even the KT120's are too much! I'm better off using EL34's, perhaps this will be my next system towards downsizing...

Do let us know how it all goes once you've got the gear up and running. Yes, the MG3.7's are a very good point of reference in ribbon design, in fact that was my last pair of Maggie's I had before moving onto CLX's. The 3.7i was slightly different, such that they did a few minor adjustments on the quasi-ribbon and altered the crossover points from mids to highs. The 3.7i was quite good but then again the 3.7 was just as good! I didn't ever see the point of purchasing the i version if an owner already had the 3.7 version... just didn't make much sense.

I guess Magnepan had their reasons, similar case with the MG20 series, which I also had. From the MG20 all the way to the 20.7, had very marginal improvements. If I was the owner of the MG20 I'd be happy enough!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

I’m planning on adding an addition to the back of my house for, you guessed it; the stereo setup. The current room will be dedicated to the TV setup. Along with the new room (about 28’x16’) I’m planning on upgrading to the Maggie 20.7’s. Hopefully I can get the room done this year but that’s all based on the current slowdown in supply chains, etc. most contractors are booked solid months out.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 20.7's definitely need room to breath but that should be an ample sized room. Yeah, the supply chain issues have been a nightmare for anybody that wants to build. I would start putting those orders in as I hear it can take months to get materials. You will definitely need to keep us informed of how things are going the build!
-admin
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Will do on the build.
And one more item. As I mentioned earlier, I’m purchasing the new units directly from CJ as there are no dealers near me (I’m located halfway between NYC and Washington, DC). In celebration of the 45th anniversary of CJ being in business, Jeff took my Premier 12’s and Premier 15 in on trade and gave me a 30% discount off of list price! This was a sweet deal, one I could just not pass up; much better than I would have done trying to sell on Audiogon, etc. Thank you Jeff! I’ve been a CJ customer since the PV 1 and MV 75 ( I’m sure I received one of the first MV 75’s out the door).
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have found them to be generous on trades too. If you’re willing to move up in the product line, chances are good that your trade will help take the sting out of the price.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cjaylundgren wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm Jeff took my Premier 12’s and Premier 15 in on trade and gave me a 30% discount off of list price! This was a sweet deal, one I could just not pass up; much better than I would have done trying to sell on Audiogon, etc. Thank you Jeff!
That's a great deal. I'm glad you got offered a generous and fair offer directly from CJ. Also, you don't have to go through the hassle and risk of a private online sale. Online sales are great, but the risk for a deal going sour is always there.

I wonder what CJ does with these trade-in units? Obviously they don't sell them directly. Do they end up at some dealer?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They refurbish the recent models and sell them with a warranty through dealers like Steve Javaherian. There are actually several dealers (all on the small side) that may have access to them. Often they’ll ship directly from CJ when they sell.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As for older gear, as in this case, after going through the gear to sort out any issues, they may be offered through a consignment shop.
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Ok, I just looked at the CJ website. There’s a teaser for a new flagship ART 88 preamp priced at $28k.
Anyone have any news on this? I assume it’s a replacement for the GAT preamp…
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

ART 88 preamp … yes, it is the new flagship.

So … now is the time to be getting a good deal on a GAT2, no doubt.

I wonder what they’ve “improved?” The teaser is woefully short on details. No time frame either, but they’re taking orders.

The ART 88 is even closer to the price range of the ARC REF 10. Both are too rich for my blood.

My experience is that JF may let you apply the value of the GAT2 you’ve got on order to the new model. If you’re interested and willing to wait.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking forward to seeing more details on the ART88's. Always nice to see new units in the line.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just noticed that the ART 88 will be ALL TUBE instead of a hybrid.

So the ART 88 + ART 108A will be their new pinnacle.

I wonder if there will be an ART 128 phono preamp or an ART 68 DAC to go with them.