New CJ ART88 Preamp

The PV-1 to now...
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

New CJ ART88 Preamp

Post by whnay1 »

Just heard it today. The ART88 is in a class by itself.
Attachments
62887C9C-3D99-4B8E-8D00-D0DAD96BA93A.jpeg
62887C9C-3D99-4B8E-8D00-D0DAD96BA93A.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 62511 times
450C67A8-4A6B-4E8C-83AA-3A1E4361A0C1.jpeg
450C67A8-4A6B-4E8C-83AA-3A1E4361A0C1.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 62511 times
4CE8FA31-D8B5-4FE0-804E-347E2F733EF3.jpeg
4CE8FA31-D8B5-4FE0-804E-347E2F733EF3.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 62511 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New CJ ART88 Preamp

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m looking forward to an audition or a review.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There are 7 ventilation arrays. Are there 7 tubes?

Is it regulated by tube or solid state?

I assume it’s single ended.

Did you hear it with the ART 108A? What speakers are they driving?
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

My initial listening session with the CJ ART88 Line Stage Preamp:

I went to CJ and listened to the ART88. There have sold ten and they got the Faceplates in today.

The back panel of the production unit I heard was hard to photo shoot but it is similar to the GATS2 using Cardas RCA jacks.
His system is the Aurender A10, ART150 Power Amplifier, with the Zellaton speakers and the ART88.

It is a dual mono design with separate regulation for each channel. It uses a combination of j-fet and tube regulation not in the signal path. The regulation has similar topology to the ART108 Power Amplifiers. I have heard the 108's in two different places - simply stunning.

Lots of CJD Teflon Caps, Vishay Resistors, Cardas I/O Hardware. Custom Power Transformer, and it is a very solid chassis.

It is marvelous. It has an image focus consistent from top to bottom. It has speed without the ringing and glare that other preamps have. It has solid mid and deep bass with tons of air. It added the power in the lower octaves that was a little missing on the ET7S2.

Its soundstage is beautifully focused. Drums stayed focused while the saxes were full of air and texture. Very dynamic and fast.

Kickdrums were full of snap and punch and coherency.

How does it compare to the GATS2?? It is clearly superior. Greater clarity and delivered effortlessly. Greater and clearly defined depth. Super tonal balance without being like caramel. Speed without the annoying ringing of other preamps (not the GAT). But, I noticed something new – the image height of each instrument was authentic. Since sax players usually stand up for solos and drummers are seated the height and space relationship was believable! That was the biggest difference I heard.

It is worth the money! Only $1500 more than the GATS2!

Gold unit is the first production unit! Top also available in Black.

Great reviews will be coming I am sure.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

It uses two Phillips PCC88 tubes per Channel. One is for Gain and the other is for Impedance Matching.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Thanks!
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

ANy time
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'm guessing the two sets of vents on the front left and right are for the 4 Phillips PCC88. With a heater voltage of 7.6V they should be more robust than the 6DJ8 family.

Wonder what the three vents in the back are for?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

tyhey are for the power supply section
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

The power transformer is in the back right side and the banks of Teflon caps and lots of regulators.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

The back panel uses Cardas RCA jacks and supports power cords of your choice.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Before I got into preamp comparos earlier this year, I was so happy that I couldn’t even dream that preamps beyond my own could possibly be worthwhile.

But … I was proven wrong. I’ve had four tube preamps here this year, and I’m beginning to think that the sky’s the limit.

I am still not sure if the goal is music rather than spatial cues that $15k+ preamps are necessary… no, that’s wrong … they aren’t necessary. But they are fun on two levels.

Probably honestly first, the flagships garner the attention and attendant prestige. If you want “the best,” the flagship is the best choice. My guess is that a lot of orders for ART 88s will come with GAT2 trade ins.

Next though, the best preamps do seem to bring out the best in the source. It’s sort of weird because a straight wire with gain is not the best preamp. There is some synergy that comes from matching amp and preamp that can’t be explained by simplicity.

I suspect that the ART 88 + ART 108A pairing is about as good as you can get here in September 2022.

I’m surprised they’re still using the Zellatons. Their flagship dealer in NYC was the importer, but that dealer is not recognizing CJ on their website as a supported brand anymore. I wish they’d pick something like high end Magnepan for stats, and maybe midrange Wilsons for cones. Both US sourced. Of course once you’ve got a $160k pair of speakers, it’s hard to sell them. A business like CJ could write them off though. I would think speakers would be no more than five year property for depreciation purposes.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The ART88 is such a high end looking unit. Using the Champagne gold top cover really elevates the aesthetic appeal. With the flagship model's high price. I think this was a really good decision. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, but the looks are the first thing that will catch a buyer's eye.

I agree with AJ, on the importance of pairing these kind of units with the right (and best) speakers. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. But certainly carefully chosen.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The gold will REALLY facilitate sales in Asia.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The comment about the gold is serious, not tongue in cheek.

Also the new focus on 8 … 8 is a very lucky number. 4 is a very unlucky number.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology

So we find 88 and 108 in the new flagships.

ARC has considered this too. 4 generally does not appear in a model number.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's interesting. Maybe that is why we don't see a lot of Model 13's in the US market.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Asian market is huge. I’ve noticed this in the ARC, Paul McGowan, and Wilson books.

Marantz has specifically focused their gold faceplates on the Asian markets.

Taylor Swift’s favorite number is 13, but that’s unusual in most western cultures. Supposedly the negative connotations of 13 date back to the Last Supper where there were 13 present before the betrayal.

Numerology is just superstition, but it can’t be ignored in marketing.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! That gold faceplate and to add top plates as well... yes! This will be a very attractive piece in the Asian region, without a doubt. Plus this is where the big boys are...

Looks great but I still like the overall look of the GAT and for that matter the ACT2. It had just an extraordinary look. Whenever someone visited and saw the ACT2, they would get their phone out and take a few pics, it looked like a spaceship.

I was under the impression that this new ART 88 preamp is an all tube design but if they use j-fets then it's a hybrid. I guess JF has his reasons. Paired with the ART108A's must be glorious!

Well done and cheers to CJ!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:32 pm The Asian market is huge. I’ve noticed this in the ARC, Paul McGowan, and Wilson books.

Marantz has specifically focused their gold faceplates on the Asian markets.

Taylor Swift’s favorite number is 13, but that’s unusual in most western cultures. Supposedly the negative connotations of 13 date back to the Last Supper where there were 13 present before the betrayal.

Numerology is just superstition, but it can’t be ignored in marketing.
I think most hotels still don't have a thirteenth floor. So there definitely importance put on superstition here in the US. Kind of silly if you ask me, but I guess it matters to some.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:55 pm
I think most hotels still don't have a thirteenth floor. So there definitely importance put on superstition here in the US. Kind of silly if you ask me, but I guess it matters to some.
Just think of the poor Asian who is relegated to the 14th floor, which is really the 13th 😱.