White noise from CAV 50

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

White noise from CAV 50

Post by teb76 »

Perhaps a fool question, stated that this is my first tube amp: when I have no signal at the input I hear a kind of white noise from the speakers, even at low volume. Is this normal? If not, what should I check?
Thank you.
Proud CJ CAV 50 owner from Italy
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: White noise from CAV 50

Post by admin »

No, not normal.

Many things can cause noise. Couple of questions to help narrow down the problem:

1) Does the volume of noise change with the volume setting of the CAV50?
2) Is it really white noise, or a noise at exactly 60 hz?
3) Does the noise change if you manually move any power cords away from the interconnects?
4) Is the noise equal volume in both channels?
5) Does the noise change at all with dampening of the tubes (ie touching the tube ideally with a non-conductive item, but your hand, to dampen any potential vibration)?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

admin wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:37 am No, not normal.

Many things can cause noise. Couple of questions to help narrow down the problem:

1) Does the volume of noise change with the volume setting of the CAV50?
2) Is it really white noise, or a noise at exactly 60 hz?
3) Does the noise change if you manually move any power cords away from the interconnects?
4) Is the noise equal volume in both channels?
5) Does the noise change at all with dampening of the tubes (ie touching the tube ideally with a non-conductive item, but your hand, to dampen any potential vibration)?
Thanks for answering!

1) Yes

2) Here is the spectrum, you are right, it' clearly coming from power suppy (in Italy 50 Hz) with a huge peak at 100 Hz, there's a floor but the clear peaks.
Screenshot_20221009-131238_Spectroid.jpg
3) It changes touching the input selector and the volume knob as well, no change toching other (cables, valve, ...). It's louder when the selector is an open (not used/connect) input, far better when in connected input.

4) looks louder on the right channel

5) no
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If it's 50hz or a multiple, it may be a ground loop.

The variance between the two channels concerns me about something more significant.

I like to start off with the low hanging fruit (ground loop). If you have a ground loop isolator RCA connector, put that between the denon and the CAV50. If not, turn everything off. Disconnect the denon from the CAV50 (so there are no other component connections than the CAV50 to the speaker), and use another source (like your phone connected via 3.5mm plug to RCA) and see if the noise goes away or changes.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s probably one of the small driver tubes, and/or cable routing, and possibly some RFI.

Try reseating the tubes and the interconnects.
Don’t turn it on and off and on and off. Give the caps a chance to settle down ( a couple minutes) before any restarts.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Unplug sources. Does it go away? If it’s a ground loop, it should drop out when the offending component is removed. But the cable routing, small tube, or filter caps are my guess.

Kevin Deal would ask “Why are you listening to NO PROGRAM?” “Stop worrying about how it sounds when there’s no music. Tubes make some noise. You don’t hear it when the program is playing. Forget about it.”

Hiss is not hum. Hum is clearly a primary frequency. You’ve got lots of frequency content.

Since you called it “like white noise”, which is hiss, at the start, my money is on small driver tube noise.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Everything disconnect and unplugged noise remain the same. Yes your right, at first it was a kind of white noise, actually it is not, as shown.
Should I try crossing valves or change it? Don't know...
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Everything disconnect and unplugged noise remain the same. Yes your right, at first it was a kind of white noise, actually it is not, as shown.
Should I try crossing valves or change it? Don't know...

At volume higher than 30% I hear a click from the speakers when rotating the input selector
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can try switching the tubes to see if that has any results. If so, then it narrows it down to a tube issue. Note, you may have to rebias.

The clicking may be from the actual volume control. Sometimes you get some oxidation there. A little deoxit spray and some vigorous turning up and down can fix that (all with the unit off and unplugged).
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s not likely to be a power tube, so don’t worry about rebiasing. It is a classic small driver tube issue.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Replacement Tube Set RCAV50
12AU7 | 2 12AX7 | 2 6SN7 | 4 EL34

It’s likely to be one of the 12A?7 tubes. Start there. It could be a socket too, but R&R each tube should clean pins.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with AJ. If it's a tube issue, most likely not going to be a power tube. I would reseat all the tubes as it's low hanging fruit.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Those 6xxx tubes are drivers too.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Thank you, I'll try also cleaning the socket with some contact cleaner and let you know.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Contact cleaner is generally not recommended for cleaning pins or sockets.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:55 pm Contact cleaner is generally not recommended for cleaning pins or sockets.
Good to know... I was going to use it... :roll: What can I use instead?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The friction of r&r is enough. If you’ve got real corrosion, replace the socket.