new digital approach to analogue sound.

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

new digital approach to analogue sound.

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

For those who are playing digital music, here is a new way to get closer to what's in the recording: This software goes into the computer and it is between your digital CD player and your DAC.

Hang Loose Convolver

I got it and it really is doing a transparency as never before...

https://accuratesound.ca/products.html

It is very good!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: new digital approach to analogue sound.

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I often invoke Fletcher’s and Munson’s research on hearing sensitivity and it’s person to person variability.

This is the first product I’ve seen this century that refers to their work. It must be good! 😁
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I should ad virtual CD player like Audirvana as an example...I am just learning how to get the most of it...it really looks promising.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These digital filters are always fun to play with. The "accurate sound" one linked above seems to introduce dynamic equalization which certainly sounds interesting. I remember that about a decade ago when I played a significant amount of my music from FLAC files that I had encoded from my CD collection, I had played around with similar software from https://www.izotope.com. They were geared more toward music production but offer a lot of tools for things like, room correction, tonal balance, etc...

It changes the sound and some may like this or not. As mentioned, different volumes can influence our perception of the frequency response. But this is more of an issue when you are going from highly varying volume listening levels. I typically listen to most music at the same volume, which is at a pretty standard listening level. So that audio was mixed probably very close to the listening level that I am enjoying the music.

There is no right and wrong. Again, I really enjoyed my time fiddling with electronic equalizers/filters,.. but then strayed back into unaltered. It has been some time and technology advances so maybe this is something to explore again.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I have being listening to this HLC convolver. What it does to my digital sound is like a contrast control. The bass and the midrange acquires a much better definition. It also cleans up the overall audio spectrum. I have a sense of much better definition and steady stage. The timber is also slightly better to my ears.

It's like when you have little spots in the windshield and you clean it. When you listen to DSD files @128X (5.6448MHz sampling rate) the sense of space at the stage is fantastic. Dynamics are played stronger but right, not exaggerating them. It's more fun to listen the musicians playing.

This is happening with Audirvana Studio, I'm going to try now HQPlayer and will report later my findings.

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Chicos,

This is one of those recordings that has everything. Good timber, different percussion instruments, and great guitar player too. The singer has a natural voice, and the baritone clarinet is amazing. There is a Zambo drum, very deep tone and really fast. There is an accordion very similar to a bandoneon. The music is very modern and jazzy. The harmonic is very complex. The bass is robust and also well played too. The recording is phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEypAlelgHE

Wow, it is expensive...my God!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sera-Una-Noche/d ... 28e6d374b3

$299.00????

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, that is expensive. That is getting near the price range of the audiophile reel to reel tapes I see being sold. Like: https://www.nativedsd.com/product/audio ... reel-tape/
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

On eBay this morning prices ranged from $42 to $199. I bought the $42 copy (CD).

Every scarce reference is expensive. Audiophiles are known to be OCD with deep pockets.

My Thunderbird interconnects will arrive at the dealer today. I’ll use this disk as one to assist in evaluation of them.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not just audiophiles. Rare, out of issue, discs can catch a fair penny. A few months ago somebody offered me a few hundred dollars for some CD for a 90's video game soundtrack that I had gotten when I bought a lot of CD's at some point. Apparently it's a rare limited release. Never even would have thought it was worth anything and I've never listened to it...
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Gamers are OCD too.

Rare often beats well done 🤣🤣🤣

My wife has some beautiful raspberries and cream variegated tulips for sale. Only $100k per bulb. Bound to go up. 😉
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_6997.JPG
IMG_6997.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2345 times
Hola Chicos,

Just acquired this new RCA 1.5m silver plated cable with WBT RCA connector. Here are the specs of it:

1. Material of Shielding/Insulator: Teflon

2. Color:16 conductors transparent

3. Material of Conductor: Braided multi-stranded, ultra-high purity 99.9999% OCC silver-plated Copper wires

4. Overall Outside Diameter: 10mm

5. Diameter of each strand: 1.5mm

6. Ultra low-loss, low capacitance high-density polyethylene dielectric insulation for conductors

7. Low friction, easy-to-pull outer PVC jacket

8.with WBT0102AG RCA PLUG

It is replacing my Nordost SPM Reference 1.00m. I do like it so far, immediately the dynamics and the stage is a little bit more forward. It is clean and fun to listen to the music.

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Looks like those are locking RCA plugs. Those are my favorite type and that's what I used when I made my own DIY RCA cables.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I find that the size of the interconnects cables are to my liking 1.5m. Less size, I get a pancake thick stage. Very wide, but no sense of 3D. I had 1m size my Nordost SPM Reference connecting my DAC to the preamplifier. Now, the sense of 3D with this very thick (8 AWG) and it is working nicely.

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:53 pm I find that the size of the interconnects cables are to my liking 1.5m. Less size, I get a pancake thick stage. Very wide, but no sense of 3D. I had 1m size my Nordost SPM Reference connecting my DAC to the preamplifier. Now, the sense of 3D with this very thick (8 AWG) and it is working nicely.

Happy listening!
Wait, the interconnect is 8 AWG?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:39 pm
roberto wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:53 pm I find that the size of the interconnects cables are to my liking 1.5m. Less size, I get a pancake thick stage. Very wide, but no sense of 3D. I had 1m size my Nordost SPM Reference connecting my DAC to the preamplifier. Now, the sense of 3D with this very thick (8 AWG) and it is working nicely.

Happy listening!
Wait, the interconnect is 8 AWG?
16 strands, 1.5 mm each. That’s nearly an inch (16 x 1.5 is 24 mm). They’re braided. Silver plated copper.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yup, AJ is right! That's a good cable. I am enjoying it. I have the same detail as the SPM Reference Nordost. The copper is Oxygen free too, with a purity of 99.9999. Each braid sleeve is made of Teflon. And the RCA connector is Rodium plated. I'm getting deep bass notes. I like this.

The RCA connectors are made in Germany. Nice craftsman.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There’s plenty of room in a 10 mm circle for 16 1.5 mm diameter circles.

That’s some cable. I’m using strictly balanced to the extent possible, but out of curiosity, is there a link to a commercial source?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I got it from a friend...I do not know from where he bought it. I can as him, if you want.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:30 am Chicos,

This is one of those recordings that has everything. Good timber, different percussion instruments, and great guitar player too. The singer has a natural voice, and the baritone clarinet is amazing. There is a Zambo drum, very deep tone and really fast. There is an accordion very similar to a bandoneon. The music is very modern and jazzy. The harmonic is very complex. The bass is robust and also well played too. The recording is phenomenal.

Wow, it is expensive...my God!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sera-Una-Noche/d ... 28e6d374b3

$299.00????

Happy listening!
Finally had the chance to sit down and listen. Organizing my laserdisc acquisition took way longer than I had anticipated and it kept me away from the audio listening. I directly compared the 96khz aiff files to 44khz streaming (using my Oppo player to play the files and my Bluesound Node streamer for the 44khz). The aiff did sound a little better, slightly better dynamics and clarity. Not a world of difference and I think anybody would be satisfied with either version.

It's definitely an audiophile album. The instruments sound very life like and there is great dynamic range.

The music was "ok to pretty good", I think I enjoyed the instrumentals more than the singing but of course that is personal preference. I would check it out,... maybe listen to the album on a streaming service before forking over $300 for the CD.

A big thanks to Roberto for suggesting it.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:30 am Chicos,

As noted in my post above, I bought the CD ($42 on eBay) and it arrived yesterday.

As admin and Roberto observed, it is an excellent production. The recording is first rate, and the Argentinian take on Tango sources is unique.

I agree with admin that for those of us who don’t speak Spanish, the instrumental work is more meaningful than the vocals. It holds up well against other audiophile recordings. I would not give $200 or $300 dollars for it, but it is well worth the $42 that I gave for it. Thanks to Roberto for pointing it out.