CAV 50 capacitors upgrade

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

CAV 50 capacitors upgrade

Post by teb76 »

Hello all, I'd like to have some details and cost for the capacitors upgrade as propose by CJ in their website here

https://conradjohnson.com/project/c1-ca ... -upgrades/

I've contacted them 3 times throung their website, then I've tried to call them 2 times, no answer at all. Are they still alive?

Perhaps someone of you know which capacitors to upgrade and with what?

Thank you.
Proud CJ CAV 50 owner from Italy
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CAV 50 capacitors upgrade

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I wrote this yesterday.

“I got great email/phone support when I asked for help with my LP275Ms yesterday.

I inquired, and had a call back within the hour.

The call back saved me from having to send three large boxes and about 250 pounds back to Virginia.

My LP275Ms are 15 years old. I bought them in 2018 after factory refurbishment and they were shipped from CJ.

I have had nothing but good experiences with CJ over the past 35 years, and this continues to be true.”

Where are you located? If you’re in a country other than the US, it would probably be more effective to contact your market importer.

If you’re in the US, are you asking for the price of the caps? If yes, they won’t tell you. If you want the cost for them to do the upgrade, it’s probably in the range of $1500 to $2500.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m thinking from another thread that you are located in Italy.

That’s probably why your inquiry is not at the top of the triage list.

The expectation is that this sort of modification would be handled either by, or at least through, the EU based importer that serves Italy.

Do you think it needs caps? Or is it more “I wonder how it would sound if …”

If it were mine, I’d think carefully about spending that much on a CAV 50 unless it were necessary as a repair. Or, I suppose it might make sense if the CAV 50 is the end game unit.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Thanks for answering, I understand I must pass through the Italian importer that what I'd like to avoid. Mine was more a curiosity to understand what was the cost and you answered, so thank you.
I don't actually need any special intervention except the small hum I've posted in another thread which I think is tight to the capacitors of the power supply circuit. The other thing (most urgent) is the volume potentiometer, every time I change the volume there is a discharge over the speakers, quite strong. Unless you have better advice I think it's time to change the potentiometer.
Perhaps someone know what the value of the potentiometer and if it has special features?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The volume pot is probably in need of cleaning. De-Oxit works well. Spray shaft and turn back and forth.

If the volume pot is dirty, maybe the rca sockets could use cleaning too. De-Oxit again.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Just to be sure, I checked and it is a volume potentiometer rather than a discrete step resistance ladder. So cleaning is probably a good idea.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Cleaning up the rca sockets could help with your noise issue, although there are no guarantees. .
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Definitely start with the de-oxit. Aging volume pots are notorious for this kind of behavior.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Guys you are a mine of information, thank you, really!
I have this one at home https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/ would it work or should I search for the de-oxti for a specific reason?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am unfamiliar with this particular type of WD40. In the US WD40 is known for penetrating oil and penetrating oil would be a terrible choice for this application.

You need electric contact cleaner. De-Oxit is a good one if you can get it. If WD 40 has an electronic contact cleaner, it might be ok too. Read the label carefully for intended use. It may be fine.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As mentioned above, DO NOT use WD40 on your electronics. It looks like the link you provided above is not actually "WD40" but simply the company that makes "WD40" and this is their contact cleaner. I've never used that. What most people recommend is the name brand Deox-IT. The "WD40 brand" contact cleaner is most likely similar but I can't vouch for it as I've never used it personally.

This is what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxI ... B00006LVEU
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Yes indeed it's a contact cleaner with the WD40 brand. I'll check the label and compare with de-oxit just for curiosity. I found de-oxit on amazon IT
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Update.
De-Oxit arrived (btw 30 euros a small bottle....) clean done, problem solved.
Thank you!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

🥳🥳🥳
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teb76 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:50 pm Update.
De-Oxit arrived (btw 30 euros a small bottle....) clean done, problem solved.
Thank you!
Very nice. Glad it worked out.

Don't throw out the De-Oxit, it should last for many projects.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:51 am It looks like the link you provided above is not actually "WD40" but simply the company that makes "WD40" and this is their contact cleaner.
Yep, that's it. WD40 has gone beyond their original Water Displacement product and has a whole line of chemicals now. I was using their penetrant to free up rusted fasteners because it was one of the first to offer a flexible metal tube to apply the spray. CRC is another company that makes a lot of products--they are known more for their brake cleaner but I use their contact spray on automotive projects.

One company whose products I like: LPS Labs. They have a few different contact cleaners, with some rated and approved for use by the FAA. They're advanced industrial chemicals, so they need to be purchased via a distributor vs. getting them at retail stores. I still have a can of one of their contact cleaners.

I do like some sort of lubrication for electronic controls, though, as I've noticed potentiometers feel rough after applying a contact cleaner to them. I think even DeOxIt makes a lube that can be used in potentiometers and faders after cleaning.

(BTW, common misconception--despite how it's commonly used, WD40 is not a lubricant. It is made for water displacement. Yet it can have many uses outside what it was designed for. Back in the 80s we'd spray it on spark plug wires to help remove moisture to get a car started, for instance.)
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1