AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cable with 72v DBS

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cable with 72v DBS

Post by admin »

I recently had the opportunity to upgrade my speaker cables. I was previously using a Signal Cable Ultra Biwire cable. This provided solid performance for a number of years now and if anybody is looking for solid performance at a reasonable budget, I would highly recommend them.

With the addition of the Rocket 88's into my system I am happy to report that there was a substantial improvement in audio performance. I have to admit that I was a little bit hesitant to do the upgrade as I often have the skeptical view that there is not much improvement to be had (if any) from my current setup. This was especially true of the DBS system employed by these cables. Sure sounded like audiophile snake oil to me. I was happily proven wrong once again.

Although the overall improvement is subtle, it is definitely noticeable and significant. No major alterations in the overall sound but it is like a thin veil has been lifted from the speakers. Sound is clearer, more dynamic, and overall presents a better soundstage. The low end seems to be a little more punchy without being overblown. Needless to say I am very happy with the results.

The Rocket 88 employs their patented DBS system which is powered by batteries that are attached to the cables. Again, I was somewhat skeptical of this initially but at the end of the day, if they improve the sound by any measure, it is a nice feature to have.

The overall build quality is of the highest caliber and what you would expect from a high end cable manufacturer. The banana plugs are very solid and were easy to push into the female receptacles on the binding posts. They make a firm connection and definitely had some resistance so they will not be falling out even if the speaker cables are pulled by accident.

If anybody is considering picking up a pair of these speakers or something else in their line with the DBS system, I think it would be worthwhile and you won’t be disappointed.

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/speak ... /rocket-88

-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cable with 72v DBS

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am really glad that they made a difference in your system. When I installed them here, they offered an improvement over my longstanding choice of speaker cables too.

None of this wire stuff seems logical, and yet it is audible. Right down to the power cord on the wall side of the power regenerator … the need for which also is illogical.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

None of this wire stuff seems logical, and yet it is audible. Right down to the power cord on the wall side of the power regenerator … the need for which also is illogical.
Makes you wonder how much of what we intuitively know is just incorrect.

And how much of what is pooh-poohed is right.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:14 pm
Makes you wonder how much of what we intuitively know is just incorrect.

And how much of what is pooh-poohed is right.
I think we know a lot of things that are true on some level, but we want to force them to work on a different level where they no longer work. It is like Newtonian mechanics vs quantum mechanics.

There appear to be properties that we do not understand well enough to describe beyond their effect.

Wissen vs kennen
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one there Admin!

Those A-Q cables should be a fine match with the rest of the fine tube gear you have, driving the big Maggies.
I reckon you'll probably hear more clarity and definition, along with a level of greater transparency, which the MG20's are well capable of.

Cheers, and keep those fine tunes playing!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes RJ, you are right on the spot. In terms of performance it bumped everything up an extra notch. Very happy with the upgrade!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.