Conrad pv9 vs pv9a

The PV-1 to now...
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Conrad pv9 vs pv9a

Post by Vick »

Hello everyone,
Can anyone tell me what are the sonic differences between the PV9 and the PV9A?
Thans ylall
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad pv9 vs pv9a

Post by admin »

I know that some of the tubes were changed in the transition to the "A" unit. Presuming this improved the sound but I have never had the chance to do A/B comparisons between the two units. considering their age, I would be more concerned/focused on the other components in the unit that may be failing after over 3 decades.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Vick »

Sure, of course,
but I believe that in case of failure they can be repaired.
I think they belong to the best period
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, "best" is subjective. CJ was refining their sound during the 80's and they did sound really nice.

You can repair everything of course, but if you need to start replacing components to get optimal sound, there is a certain cost to that. If you are looking for vintage gear, I would make sure you have the opportunity to listen to it before purchase (or have a generous return policy). Things like caps just degrade with time and 30+ is a long time.

If you are set on going with that time period, I would also suggest looking at a PV-12A. I used to own one and it's nearly a decade younger than the PV9.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Vick wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:12 am Sure, of course,
but I believe that in case of failure they can be repaired.
I think they belong to the best period
As admin says, “best period” is subjective. My personal experience having had systems all along since the PV5 is that the best period is today.

Regarding the notion that an old unit can be brought back to its original sonic signature, I’d say the prospects are 50 50 at best. With Teflon caps, the sound might improve. But with worn out no longer available volume or balance pots, relays, etc., all bets are off.

Regarding the notion that a meaningful general distinction between the PV 9 and 9A can be drawn today, I have serious doubts. Individual units need to be evaluated side by side. Parts age out differently. My position is that either could sound good “for what it is.”

As for those days, the PV 9/9A was never a CJ premium choice. It was a cheaper version of the PV8. The top PV preamps in that era were first the 5, then the 8, and then the 11. I’d look for an 11, or as admin suggests, a 12, if I wanted that period.

Having owned the 5, 8, and 11, my own opinion is in agreement with CJ’s, ie significant progress has been made and current high end does best 20th Century high end. But the PV9/9A was never considered high end, even when it was new.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Vick »

but it's not a question of how they are considered, there are people who prefer pv9 to premier seven.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Vick wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:02 am but it's not a question of how they are considered, there are people who prefer pv9 to premier seven.
There are people who prefer Haggis to Escargot.

If someone were comparing new unit to new unit, you’d have to wonder about their ears. Comparing ancient unit to ancient unit, either one could be better depending on how the parts have aged.

This vintage stuff can be fun. It’s a different kind of sonic quest.

Your ears, your system.

Find both and listen until you’re ready to pick your poison.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are people that prefer listening to music from the speakers on their iphone. :)

I think what AJ and I are saying is that the PV9 is not some magical unit that CJ released 30 years ago and has had no rival since. Every model is going to sound a little different. Most would argue that as newer models have come out, generally the sound has improved. Again, that's most and not necessarily you. I also enjoy the sound of a lot of vintage gear (not just CJ).

My general advice (in no particular order) when buying used:

1) The newer the better.

2) If going with a vintage unit, make sure it works properly and no obvious failures going on.

3) Try to get a bargain for a vintage unit. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it for minimal loss.

4) If you can try to audition the unit and compare to others if possible.

5) If you can get a trial/return policy for it, all the better.
-admin
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Vick »

Thanks
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:55 am As for those days, the PV 9/9A was never a CJ premium choice. It was a cheaper version of the PV8. The top PV preamps in that era were first the 5, then the 8, and then the 11. I’d look for an 11, or as admin suggests, a 12, if I wanted that period.
I am probably being too hard on PV9/9A aficionados.

There is no debate that the 11 replaced the 8 and the 8 replaced the 5.

But the 9/9A was probably a legitimate attempt to make a first rate PV series preamp.

There is a lid for every pot. Comparing 9 to 9A in the quest for a holy grail is misguided in my opinion. But my opinion and about $2 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

So …

Apologies offered. But the advice to try before you buy is still good advice.
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Vick »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 am
AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:55 am As for those days, the PV 9/9A was never a CJ premium choice. It was a cheaper version of the PV8. The top PV preamps in that era were first the 5, then the 8, and then the 11. I’d look for an 11, or as admin suggests, a 12, if I wanted that period.
I am probably being too hard on PV9/9A aficionados.

There is no debate that the 11 replaced the 8 and the 8 replaced the 5.

But the 9/9A was probably a legitimate attempt to make a first rate PV series preamp.

There is a lid for every pot. Comparing 9 to 9A in the quest for a holy grail is misguided in my opinion. But my opinion and about $2 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

So …

Apologies offered. But the advice to try before you buy is still good advice.

Sorry but I don't understand you very well
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Vick,

With much respect my understanding is: get a newer model. 30 years old in electronics, pc boards, switches, etc might needed to be changed and might be a problem servicing it. It is very difficult to find spare parts with the same specifications. Put your money in a newer model where the price is just a little bit higher. You will have a much better design with much better parts, having more evident the Conrad Johnson sound signature.

I remember having both long, but time ago, and the PV9A was a step forward of the PV9.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Vick
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Vick »

roberto wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:47 pm Hola Vick,

With much respect my understanding is: get a newer model. 30 years old in electronics, pc boards, switches, etc might needed to be changed and might be a problem servicing it. It is very difficult to find spare parts with the same specifications. Put your money in a newer model where the price is just a little bit higher. You will have a much better design with much better parts, having more evident the Conrad Johnson sound signature.

I remember having both long, but time ago, and the PV9A was a step forward of the PV9.

Happy listening!
Grazie Roberto