My CAV 45 S2

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

CAV45 with Preamp

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day to all CAV45 owners.

Something of interest; the other weekend I was at my CJ dealership to check out some tubes, and came across an interesting setup in one of the demo rooms, which sounded fabulous! It was a CAV45 used as a power amp, connected to an ET3SE as the preamp. The volume level on the CAV45 was turned all the up, then connected via one of the pair of Inputs on the CAV45. So basically, from the ET3's main out directly to the Input on the CAV45 (Input 1 was chosen).

Volume levels are adjusted on the ET3SE instead, and source gear can be connected to the ET3SE omitting the CAV45's inputs, and operating it only as a power amp.

Since the CAV45 doesn't have an active linestage for the preamp section, when used in conjunction with a separate preamp, nothing is lost or reduced in gain quality. This little setup was driving a pair of Quads, sounded tops!
I'm very very familiar with Quads, and for this simple combination to drive the Quads nicely was indeed quite remarkable.

So I just sat there and listened to some fine tunes... plus the ET3SE has remote, how wonderful!

Cheers to the CAV45!
Woof! RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: My CAV 45 S2

Post by Paolo »

As the happy owner of a CAV 45S2 I find this of great interest. Thank you BDRJ. :).
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes. It's just another little interesting tidbit about the CAV45 that you can essentially use it as an amp. I've said this before. If I was building a 2nd system with a smaller budget, I think I would go with the CAV45s2 above anything else on the market right now.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:13 pm Yes. It's just another little interesting tidbit about the CAV45 that you can essentially use it as an amp. I've said this before. If I was building a 2nd system with a smaller budget, I think I would go with the CAV45s2 above anything else on the market right now.
Suggestion:

The CAV 45 s2 is basically the Classic Sixty with an input attenuator. It costs $5750 according to the current pricing.

If you really want to consider it for a second system with an ET3 as the preamp, why not just buy a current model Classic 62 which can also be had for $5750 and is considered an upgrade over the Classic Sixty?

Better still, how about the Classic 62SE which is $7500 and a genuine upgrade over the 62?

Or ultimately an ET3SE and Classic 62SE? The ET3SE is excellent as an entry level small preamp, and the Classic 62SE would be the least costly truly high end amp in CJ’s lineup. Small system, big performance, for about the msrp of an ET7s2.

Or…. If you found a used CAV 45s2 on the cheap, you could modify it to bypass the volume control.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Looking at the CJ web site, you can get an ET6 and a Classic 62 for $11k, probably less if you’ve got a trade and a hungry dealer. And SE upgrades are available for both.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:13 pm Yes. It's just another little interesting tidbit about the CAV45 that you can essentially use it as an amp. I've said this before. If I was building a 2nd system with a smaller budget, I think I would go with the CAV45s2 above anything else on the market right now.
My room is small with Sonus Faber monitors and a couple of small REL subs. Other than the obvious advantages of having a remote and balance control as well as a phono stage, what would be the reason to get a suitable, affordable but newer CJ preamp? Might SQ be improved even further?

I'd be reluctant to experiment with another company's tube pre unless I was certain it would be a great match with the CAV45. Thanks in advance

ADMIN: If this post should stand alone- I don't want to hijack this thread- please move or delete and I'll start a new thread. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think the idea behind the CAV45s2 is for somebody that does not want a bunch of components. I see the CAV45s2 coupled with a CD player or maybe just a streamer and that's it. Yes, it would be fine in a large system or even used as just an amp but I don't think that was the intention here.

I'm not building a 2nd system but let's say I wanted a mini-system in the bedroom. The CAV45s2, a small streamer, and some bookshelf speakers would be the only thing that the wife would tolerate there. There are some systems that are "too much" if you have to stack the components. There are "aesthetic systems" that some people buy to put in the living room to get some good quality sound but they don't want to see cables or a "full stereo" that dominates the room or even draws too much attention. I think this is the (small) niche that the CAV45s2 fills.

If I was building an entire full system, then the CAV45s2 is not the way I would go but rather have separate components.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you were building a system with a small footprint, this is cheaper, it sounds good, and has the added feature of “your choice of color”

https://www.paragonsns.com/products/aud ... -amplifier

You can add DAC and or Phono too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s another one. It has a 50 Wpc amp and a DAC for $5500 msrp.

https://www.paragonsns.com/products/mci ... 1UO2tOovkE
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, yes... lots of options. But which ones can I get with a champagne color face plate? :)
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It won’t matter in the dark. Choose black. You can pretend it’s CJ from the days when black was offered.

With the McIntosh you’ll have to put up with the romantic blue meters.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You’re in luck. Gold is one of the 6 colors for the ARC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:37 pm You’re in luck. Gold is one of the 6 colors for the ARC.
In all fairness, the gold does look really nice. I think I would go with the classic silver color but they really hit a home run with that unit. It just does a whole bunch in a small package and looks great.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And it comes with a full function metal remote control.

And, like the McIntosh, it has a headphone jack.

I don’t need or want one …. but it is a heck of a package for someone considering a small system for desk or boudoir. Especially if you add the TuneTots.

You really have to buy into the “less is more” argument to ignore it.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

An interesting side note for the McIntosh is that the headphone amp has adjustable impedance to match your headphones. It can be adjusted in discrete settings from typical low impedance portable headphones up to the high impedance professional models. I haven’t seen this feature on many headphone amps.

In the McIntosh history book they make the argument that although some promote the less is more concept, in their side by side listening comparisons, less often turns out to be less, not more.
warnie7
Regular
Regular

Post by warnie7 »

admin wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:05 am I think the idea behind the CAV45s2 is for somebody that does not want a bunch of components. I see the CAV45s2 coupled with a CD player or maybe just a streamer and that's it. Yes, it would be fine in a large system or even used as just an amp but I don't think that was the intention here.

I'm not building a 2nd system but let's say I wanted a mini-system in the bedroom. The CAV45s2, a small streamer, and some bookshelf speakers would be the only thing that the wife would tolerate there. There are some systems that are "too much" if you have to stack the components. There are "aesthetic systems" that some people buy to put in the living room to get some good quality sound but they don't want to see cables or a "full stereo" that dominates the room or even draws too much attention. I think this is the (small) niche that the CAV45s2 fills.

If I was building an entire full system, then the CAV45s2 is not the way I would go but rather have separate components.
I built a full system with the CAV45 S2 and more then happy, dont see nor hear a need for separates. ThorensTD124 with Koetsu cart and Allnic phono pre, Synthesis tube DAC and Audionote AN E speakers
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The CAV45-s2 is awesome. I really think it's all anybody "needs" (and then some). Also a great combo with the Audionote speakers. Congrats.
-admin
caryking
Regular
Regular

Post by caryking »

Nice looking setup…

This may be a recommendation that is foolish, to some; however, I’ve liked this in my system. Put those speaker cables on lifters…. If you don’t hear anything, take the lifters down. Currently, I use Cardas blocks and think the openness of the soundstage has increased. Like I told a buddy of mine… if this is the placebo affect, then I’ll take more…
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also use speaker cable lifters. I don't think I notice any difference in the sound but it looks nice and it's easier to dust with the cables off the ground so I've kept them in the system. Doesn't hurt to try these things in my opinion.
-admin