What Plate Fuse Do You Use for CJ Amp?

From tubes to solid state.
ds-audio18
Beginner
Beginner

What Plate Fuse Do You Use for CJ Amp?

Post by ds-audio18 »

I'm a big user of audiophile fuses in my system. As we all know, CJ Amplifier plate fuses are typically the large KTK-1 or KTK-2's (10mm x 37mm). I can't find that large fuse size from Synergistic or the other after market fuse makers. (If you don't like or believe in the benefits of audiophile fuses that's ok. I didn't either for many years).

So I'm wondering. Does everyone use the standard Bussman / Limitron or similar KTK-1 or 2's of have you found an audiophile fuse of that size?

Thanks!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: What Plate Fuse Do You Use for CJ Amp?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

ARC and Wilson both have historically used resistors instead of fuses, although ARC’s newest models have the equivalent of plate fuses. Both companies have asserted that the resistors sound better than typical fuses.

In Wilson’s case, the resistors are meant to be user/dealer replaceable.

I’m not surprised you can hear the difference. I’ve been afraid to try them for fear I could too. I guess they’re cheaper than power cords or interconnects.

As for CJ, I’ve always used the ones they recommended.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

When I had my Pr. 11A and Pr. 140 amps I used HiFi-Tuning for their plate fuses in the size you're looking for.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nah mate, have never messed with fuses. Audiophile grade or not... I've complied with whatever type is recommended by the manufacturer/ brand. And those have proven to be superior in the long run. They just work better and were meant for that particular design / circuit.

If you feel that these factory supplied recommended fuses aren't that great and the Audiophile version is superior then by all means go for it! As long as you're within spec and fuse type parameters, there shouldn't be any major problems.

I know a few who've tried out Audiophile grade versions, spent quite a bit and some have had very good results, others not much luck though, and didn't get their money back. I guess each case has its own end results. As far as I know, they've ordered these from those suppliers advertising in TAS & Stereophile... after all, those mags are supposed to be Audiophile status! 😉

Cheers and all the best, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've never heard a difference in my system with fuses. But that is just my experience. You can experiment of course and maybe your hear that fancy "cryo treatment",... but I never have. YMMV.

Just make sure the fuse specs are appropriate.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

As far as I know cryo-treatment of tubes or fuses for that matter doesn't affect their sound. I believe it has to do with their longevity.

If you don't hear any positive difference with aftermarket fuses then that's a good thing because you're saving yourself a bunch of money.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets