Best SUT pairing for PV1, Hana ML LOMC, Rega P6

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Ebryant7
Regular
Regular

Best SUT pairing for PV1, Hana ML LOMC, Rega P6

Post by Ebryant7 »

Hello,

I’m in need of some advice. I’m running a PV1 and Rega P6 and want to ad Hana ML LOMC cartridge and utilize the Conrad’s phono stage:The ML has .4 mv and Conrad has a 35db stage. Looking for advice on the best step up transformer ratio to use and what step up to get. Looking at a Rothwell MCL, 1:20 ratio and 26db or Rothwell MCX 1:10 and 20db. Both use Swedish Lundahl transformers. Is the goal to have 62db? Or is 62db total db too hot? Also looking at an SUT on eBay from Clayton that has Cinemag 1254 transformers that can be switched to various ratios Or the 1:10 ratio Elliott studio arts
ESA SUT-1 SUT made locally here in Seattle using vintage Altec Lansing transformers. Looking for advice on the best ratio match and best sounding SUT.
I’m wanting to achieve an emotionally charged, full, black quiet soundstage. Looking
For the best step up ratio and best transformers to
achieve this.
THANK YOU
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Best SUT pairing for PV1, Hana ML LOMC, Rega P6

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That cartridge will be well served by a phono gain of about 60 dB. I think that, depending on your speakers, room, and amp/preamp noise floor, the range would probably be 55 to 64. As you already know, 35 is quite low and would be a better match for an HOMM.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Ebryant7
Regular
Regular

Post by Ebryant7 »

I was originally looking at a Sumiko HOMC and various HOMM cartridges but was swayed to think the LOMC paired with a SUT would ultimately give me superior sound. running B&W 805 Nautilus, Moscode 600 Amp and a sub. Listening room is 19’x13’
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with AJ on the range but all parts of the chain need to be taken into account, especially speaker efficiency.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Ebryant7
Regular
Regular

Post by Ebryant7 »

Thank you Admin and AJ! I didn’t take speaker efficiencies into consideration. Are you saying speaker efficiencies would affect the amount of DB’s I would need coming off of the Preamp? Just want to make sure I’m understanding.
Thank you
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Ebryant7 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:30 am I was originally looking at a Sumiko HOMC and various HOMM cartridges but was swayed to think the LOMC paired with a SUT would ultimately give me superior sound. running B&W 805 Nautilus, Moscode 600 Amp and a sub. Listening room is 19’x13’
The speakers are pretty normal efficiency at 88 dB/W/m.

They dip to below 5 Ohms, but that’s not bad.

I think you’ve got a very nice vintage system.

If it were me, I might go back to consider an HOMM cartridge just to stay in the theme. No SUT required. But I can see why someone might choose otherwise.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Ebryant7 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:18 pm Thank you Admin and AJ! I didn’t take speaker efficiencies into consideration. Are you saying speaker efficiencies would affect the amount of DB’s I would need coming off of the Preamp? Just want to make sure I’m understanding.
Thank you
Yes. Your ultimate goal is to hear the sound from your vinyl system. If your speakers are 100 dB/W/m, it takes less gain than if they’re at 80. Your 88 rating is pretty much “efficient enough, but not overly so.”

FWIW, the Swedish transformers are very nice.
Ebryant7
Regular
Regular

Post by Ebryant7 »

Thanks again you all! Big time help!
Buck R0gers
Regular
Regular

Post by Buck R0gers »

Upgraded from a Sumiko Black Bird to a LOMC Denon DL301II never going back to a High output!

Used the Audio Technica SUT, Then built dozens using Peerless, Sowter, Tamura, Shure, Lundahl.

Added variable loading and it's the best I've ever heard. Simply stunning.

Kept the Peerless 4722, 15095 and an old Lundahl LL4901.

The SUT takes everything to another level.

Just got the 300$ Audio Technica for grins and it's a wonderful cartridge, I am Impressed!

Buck
"186,000 Miles Per Second Isn't Just a Good Idea, It's The Law~!"