TAS issue 338

Anything you can hear or see.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

TAS issue 338

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This most recent issue of TAS was especially interesting to me.

In addition to the AudioQuest Thunderbird Zero interconnect and cable review (which was 100% in agreement with my independent evaluation), there was an article that addressed why large orchestral performances are generally not fully spatially recreated in home systems. And there was an article that reviewed the Lyra Etna Lambda.

I have been enjoying the Etna since not long after it was released. Inspection by Tom O’Keefe determined that I had used about 40% of the stylus life. In the review it was pointed out that Etna owners could trade up to the new Lsmbda version for half price. I have been thinking about my next cartridge for when my Etna is worn out, so I contacted the current Lyra distributor, and he hooked me up with their dealer in Atlanta (HiFi Buys Atlanta, which is not affiliated with my usual dealer HiFi Buys Nashville).

The Atlanta dealer had the Etna Lambda in stock, so a quick trip today to do the trade, and I will be enjoying the new cartridge as soon as I get a chance to install it.

HiFi Buys Atlanta impressed me as a really good dealership, and I enjoyed my visit.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TAS issue 338

Post by admin »

Nice upgrade. Let us know what you think when you have put a couple hours on it spinning those LPs.

This is a writeup on the cartridge: https://lyraanalog.com/etna.html
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:08 pm Nice upgrade. Let us know what you think when you have put a couple hours on it spinning those LPs.
The US Importer says it will take 40 hours or so to come into its own. This is typical, with some cartridges taking as many as 100 hours. With the new focus here on streaming, it may take a month or two to break it in.

I’ve been a fan of Lyra since I first purchased a Delos (their entry level) several years ago. I liked the Delos so well that after several months, I obtained a Kleos. The Kleos was the best sound I’d ever heard in my system, so when I built my high spec LP12, I obtained an Etna. The others I knew who were LP12 Aficionados had raved about it. Even some Linn dealers. I was not disappointed. It is a great cartridge.

I haven’t really felt it was deficient in any way … but the trade program was just too enticing to ignore. Normally the trade takes a couple of months, but with HFB stocking the Lambda and willing to trade, I couldn’t pass it up.

I’ve considered the SL versions too, and my phono preamp has plenty of gain to run them, but I really like dynamics, and the non SL versions seem to have more slam.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One of the things Taffel mentioned in his review is how quietly the Etna Lambda plays the lead in groove. He tied this to the new suspension components.

I wondered about this when I read it. But as I’ve played the cartridge side after side, he is right. My Etna and Kleos play in quietly too, but this drops it further. It’s even more inky black … from inky black that was already pretty good.

Everything he noticed is noticeable here too. I hear noticeably more sound from the room, and even more clear separation of layers in the mix. Some would describe this as sound stage depth. I think these things are tied together.

Shane Buettner is the contact at the new US Lyra distributor and he was very helpful in facilitating my exchange. Very attentive, and seemingly actually excited about the exchange. He was gushing about the differences between the already exceptional Etna and the Etna Lambda version.

I can hear why. It is exciting to represent products that actually deliver the goods.