Holo May Kte back to normal operation

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Holo May Kte back to normal operation

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I want to say that Mr Tim Connors from Kitsune USA really supported me with the Holo May Kte DAC problem. The MCU (micro controller unit) stop working in my unit. Mr. Connors took me in a journey with simple questions regarding the problem and now the unit is back to normal operation. He claimed several times that my problem was almost unique...never had this problem before. Well, he nailed and sent me the complete display with the MCU without charge. He also did comment that the unit is almost bullet proof.

What a service!

Again I am listening and discovering new things in my music. This DAC is an incredible match with CJ goods.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Holo May Kte back to normal operation

Post by admin »

Glad it turned out ok and big plus for the repair being hassle free. The internals of the May is rather modular so makes swapping boards in and our fairly user friendly. It's not very well suited to replacing individual components as they are so tiny so I can see why board swapping is the easiest, quickest, and most reliable way to go.

Out of curiosity, was the MCU change pretty quick? I've taken off the cover of the May, but never removed actual components.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

That is one DAC that is on my radar to purchase
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Congratulations to Roberto for getting it sorted out. That’s great!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Admin,

The job to do is a very easy task. First, remove all the screws that surrounds the unit, including the ones that are at the back plate. To remove, are 15 2mm hex screws. Once you have done that, you must move the top plate from the bottom plate, but be careful, there is a Flex strip connecting the display and MCU to the main board. Just lift up the black support at the connector to release the flex strip and now you can remove the flex.
Once you are there remove the hex 2.5mm that are securing the MCU circuit board and display, install the new one and reverse the procedure.

Now I am back to heaven. This Holo May Kte really challenges the most contenders three or four times its price. Here is a review of the Holo May Kte made by a non profit commercial reviewers.

https://www.audiosciencereview:.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-holo-audio-may-probably-the-best-discrete-r2r-dac.10161/

The review was made two years ago, or perhaps more, and from there, I was told by Kitsune that there are a little improvements after this review.

The only cables in the Holo May are from the IEC power connector to the main board AC and the DC power cable connecting the power supply to the main circuit boards. No cables at all.

Look this review starting on minute 3:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa3sOSRa-U0&t=273
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:05 pm Congratulations to Roberto for getting it sorted out. That’s great!
'Thanks AJ...it was a pleasure to work in a such beauty. It is crafted with much care and precision. Besides, looking its guts, it is built with a sense of a superb unit.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

jimbones wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:25 pm That is one DAC that is on my radar to purchase
Take some music files with you in a flash drive. Choose your personal recordings that you know very well and have a listen. There, you will re-discover your files again. Many nuances of the music are more evident and also the timber. Being the best measured R2R DAC in Stereophile in their test bench, regardless of price, the quality of the recordings will arise as never before. I am sure that you will say: I never heard that before and in all your tracks. This DAC is that good!!.

It is sweet but not too much, it brings out the best of musical instruments and voices. The harmonic texture is fantastic. The sound is not forward, so you don't have a pancake thick stage, you have a truly sense of 3D. You will not recognize your system due to the quality sound coming from it. CJ gear and any pair of speakers shine with it!.

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Goldensound review is great. Really just one of the best hardware reviews out there period. Every review the Holo Audio has been outstanding. Stereophile not only thought it was the best measuring but they also kept it as a reference unit for further comparison. I actually find that a better endorsement than their typical hardware review (which always seems to be positive regardless of what they are reviewing).

Who can say whether it's the "best" $5k DAC out there? But it really is a top contender. It would be very hard to argue against that statement. Definitely worth a consideration for anybody thinking about buying a DAC in that price range.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

The Holo May Kte model is a bargain, sold only by mail. You cannot buy it in an audio store. So the price of the unis is a wholesale price. If the unit could be get in a store, the price will be $10K or more. So, at this price it is unfair to do comparisons. There are may other forums where they had made the comparisons and by a general consensus still is the best sounding DAC. Of course there are others that have other DACs and are very happy with them...Stereophile mag uses it as a reference regardless of price, this might tell something about it too.

I made two very important changes in my system, and both were very close, this dac and the preamp ET7V2. At the beginning I was very sceptic, the broken time was needed to have settled down all the electronic components on both units. Then the miracle started to happen. Conclusion in my system and my ears: This is the best quality sound that I ever had, period. I forget that I am listening the system, and I am transported to the recording studio or the event. I found another review of the them that will explain better what I am getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPtsWvhjLxA&t=463s

Go to minute 4:48 where the review starts.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another enormously positive review. Positive reviews are not rare, but when the reviewers say it's the best DAC they have ever heard, that is not so common.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s a great DAC, but the video is from 2 years ago, so not recent. Nevertheless everyone who has one seems to love it, and you don’t see them come up used very often, so owners are continuing to enjoy them.

Herb Reichert of Stereophile really gushed over it when he had the review sample. He appears to be using something else now, but reviewers are fickle, and the something else retails for four times as much. I think Stereophile still has the Holo Audio May KTE in their A+ category.

Roberto’s story about the service is an excellent recommendation for those considering the May.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Here is another more recent review and some comparisons with other DACs costing twice its price:
https://www.13thnote.net/2022/08/19/a-f ... y-dac-kte/
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, I’ve never seen a single reviewer note a single con. It is punching far above its weight.

Are you feeding it with a special Ethernet cable? If so, what?

Joe A probably knows some good ones. Maybe he’ll share.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

There are a good number of Ethernet cables that are well-regarded from the usual cable company suspects.

I looked at the Transparent cable you mentioned AJ and it doesn't go up astronomically with a 50 foot terminated cable run costing $1,055 or $21.10 a foot. The longest run I could find of Audioquest Cinnamon was 39 feet (12M) at $400 or $10.25 a foot. I seem to remember that you use/need 50 feet?

The sweet spot in the AQ line is (from what I've read) their Vodka Ethernet cable at $2,650 for 39 feet at which point the Transparent looks a lot more attractive pricewise.

Are we talking a few meter patch cord length or a 50 foot hook-up?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Considering the Spring 3. Not sure I want to deal with 2 box solution. I am hoping it comes close to the May
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:47 am Considering the Spring 3. Not sure I want to deal with 2 box solution. I am hoping it comes close to the May
Which version of the Spring 3 are you looking at? The highest version of the spring 3 (with preamp module) costs about the same as the lowest build the May. Although the L1 version is a bargain at $2200 no doubt. In all honesty the dual body design of the May is not really a problem in most situations as you can stack it right on each other or put it on a separate shelf. It comes with a power connector cord which has a reasonable length. Reviews of the spring 3 seem positive and seems to be a DAC that performs better than it should at that price range.

These seem to be selling well as there is an over 1 month weight for build times. It took a few weeks for the May to arrive when I had bought it as well.
-admin
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:31 am
jimbones wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:47 am Considering the Spring 3. Not sure I want to deal with 2 box solution. I am hoping it comes close to the May
Which version of the Spring 3 are you looking at? The highest version of the spring 3 (with preamp module) costs about the same as the lowest build the May. Although the L1 version is a bargain at $2200 no doubt. In all honesty the dual body design of the May is not really a problem in most situations as you can stack it right on each other or put it on a separate shelf. It comes with a power connector cord which has a reasonable length. Reviews of the spring 3 seem positive and seems to be a DAC that performs better than it should at that price range.

These seem to be selling well as there is an over 1 month weight for build times. It took a few weeks for the May to arrive when I had bought it as well.
I am looking at the Spring without the preamp as I have the ET5. My budget allows for at least 3k. I see them used once in a while
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:21 am I am looking at the Spring without the preamp as I have the ET5. My budget allows for at least 3k. I see them used once in a while
Nice. Not sure how often they pop up on the used market and at what discount? I haven't seen too many May DACs up which is surprising as I think they are selling well so there should be a good number out in the wild. If you can snag a used Spring 3 at a good price then that makes the price for performance even better. I would also see if the 3 year warranty is transferable. I haven't had any issue with my Holo but as this topic shows, anything can happen. The support is here in the US and response times are very fast so I think the warranty is worth to consider.

I think any way you go you are going to be happy.
-admin
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

I could just buy it new, not an issue. I am patient though so if I wait I might see one on the used market. However, you are correct, the discount isn't much. AFAIK, the warranty is transferrable