Two Possibilities

CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, mp3 (yes, I said it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it), laserdisc...
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Two Possibilities

Post by Joe Appierto »

Here are two albums I've obtained that some may find worth trying out.

The first is free from David Chesky's The Audiophile Society and is entitled The HiFi Collective. There are multiple formats available. I downloaded the DSD version which I've really grown to like.

https://theaudiophilesociety.com/pages/audiophiliac

The second is The Astounding Eyes of Rita by Anouar Brahem and this is a link to the CD on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Astounding-Eyes- ... B002FEUOB4
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Two Possibilities

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Thanks Joe!

Neither of these were on my radar screen.

I like many of Chesky’s other projects.

I doubt I ever would have run across Anouar Brahem without your link. It is a haunting album.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

My pleasure.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe 4th of July holiday weekend.

I'll be heading in a few minutes to a friend's for a get together of about a dozen of us. Here in NJ you can't escape the smoke from the Canadian fires but at least today it's a little better than it has been.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just listened to the Anouar Brahem album on the mini system (PV-14L and MV-55). It's a great album. I think I'm going to have to do a re-listen on the main system.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:51 pm Just listened to the Anouar Brahem album on the mini system (PV-14L and MV-55). It's a great album. I think I'm going to have to do a re-listen on the main system.
I expect you will enjoy it even more through your Holo Audio May KTE and Maggies.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I discovered The Astounding Eyes of Rita on a PS Audio music thread. He has a number of other albums that also appeared but Rita seems to pop-up quite often so I gave it a shot. It continues to see play time on my system.

The Chesky sampler being free seemed like a no-brainer especially since it's DSD and from what I understand the headphone mix is also technically outstanding. A comment I've seen more than once is that your headphones seem to disappear. Musically it may not be as polished as the Brahem album but I still find it fun to listen to.

I'm glad now that I mentioned them. You guys share so much it makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy being able to reciprocate a bit.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did a second listen on the Brahem album but this time on the main stereo system. Even more enjoyable with the greater detail, imaging, clarity, etc... My secondary system really does sound better than it has any right to considering the minimal budget and speaker placement limitations. Both listening sessions were immensely enjoyable and it's a credit to the album.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

Great recommendation Joe. The second track has a mandolin with a bass clarinet and a Fender bass, with some percussion. This is a great recording. I got it in 192KHz sampling rate.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'm glad you like it, Roberto. I find myself playing it a couple of times a week and so far still find it worth the listen. To me it doesn't neatly fall into one particular genre although maybe jazz or world music approach as good a classification as any. The North African vibe comes through at times which makes sense I guess since Anouar Brahem is Tunisian.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Anouar Brahem album is on Qobuz in hi res too. After finishing up with Martha Argerich tonight, I listened to it.

It is still haunting.

It isn’t really dynamic, so it’s a nice choice for late night listening.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

A couple of days ago I purchased another of his albums, Blue Maqams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Maqams, that I've also seen repeatedly listed on the PS Audio "What Are You Spinning" thread. Although in a similar vein to Astounding Eyes It is different. One way it differs is that Brahem's oud playing takes center stage to a greater degree. Another is the interplay, the back and forth, call and answer between the musicians is more predominant.

The particular recording I got was the HD Tracks 96/24 download. It's pretty good.

Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, I like that one too. These are a change of pace from my usual fare.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just listened to Blue Maqams. This is a really great album. Little more modern jazzy. Also very good audio quality (I listened via Amazon Music, 24b/96khz). Thanks for the suggestion.
-admin
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

You're quite welcome. Although I do have some jazz recordings they tend to be old school like Chet Baker, Herbie Mann, Boney James, Marion Meadows, etc. When I first listened to the Blue Maqams album I thought this sounds more like traditional jazz from my limited perspective of the genre. So I appreciate your feedback. This is a genre that I sometimes dip a toe into but it is a little out of the ordinary for me.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I listened to it via Qobuz/Roon earlier today, but I’ve put it on again, this time via Qobuz/Mosaic. The latter is definitely more solid in space and time. Another example of why some lifetime subscribers to Roon express disappointment.

In direct comparison on this, and many other albums, Mosaic interfaces Qobuz with the dCS Rossini better than Roon does.

This is ironic because when I first got the Rossini, Qobuz would not run properly via Mosaic, and that was a motivation for my pursuit of Roon.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

In the spirit of Tunisia, I just played Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers “A Night in Tunisia” (2005 remaster).

I have to admit, it was not the same night as the one shared by the Brahem party.

But this remaster is excellent if you like Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. A lot of really important jazz musicians cut their teeth in Art’s band. It lasted for decades with famous and up and coming personnel giving Art their best.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This one is very relaxing, and it’s been nearly a year since I recommended it here.

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... Paz#p19542

Tonight I streamed it from Qobuz.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I mistakenly posted my response to your linked review.

Anyway...your recommendation looks very worthwhile, thank you. Just ordered a used copy from Amazon. There one remaining new copy of the CD was being offered at $84.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Not a mistake. Kharma. More ready visibility for Paz.

Bill Evans was a master of the piano. Nino Josele is a master of flaminco guitar. It is exciting to hear transpositions from one instrument to another.

I may go play the CD now.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Received an e-mail a short while ago that the CD has been shipped so I should have it later in the week. Looking forward to giving it a listen and then ripping it.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML