Is the ET5 built better than the ET7 ?

The PV-1 to now...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the ET5 built better than the ET7 ?

Post by admin »

plurn wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:51 pm a comment I posted back in 2017:

"When I compare the insides of the ET7 to the ET5 I am a bit surprised. ET7 has a lot less big white capacitors and has more electrolytic capacitors than the ET5. Also the tube is now on the main board rather than on a vibration isolated daughter board. Just looking at estimated cost of parts, I would think the ET7 would cost Conrad Johnson less to build than the ET5."

None of that on its own means one is better built or better than the other though.
I don't judge the quality of a unit based on the number of caps inside. I think this is especially true for CJ who's fundamental design is based on simplicity.

An ET5 is a great preamp,... so is the ET7 (which is why I run the ET7s2 in my system). The best option is always to listen for yourself and compare.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Resurrecting this thread as I had a related question. I have read in other threads where the ET7 S2 is a higher performer than the ET5. However when looking at the photo of the PCB they look very similar. I know that does not tell the full story. Does anyone know the technical details (circuitry wise) of the differences between the two? Both units appear to use high quality parts so I dont think that is the main difference. Im guessing circuit topology.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think you are right. Both units have quality components. The schematics for the two units have not been released so we can't make a direct comparison. However, in general, the designs get better and more refined which each successive generation.

At the end of the day, I will always value my ears over a schematic.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Lol! No doubt. I think it is the engineer in me that is asking. It will also be useful in determining if I skip that "upgrade" and go for a GAT series. I know that is definitely much different.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In this hobby there is always something "better" around the corner. ET5/ET7/GAT, all incredible preamps. You really can't go wrong. I think it's a matter of budget.
-admin