Not a lot written about LP140m

From tubes to solid state.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Not a lot written about LP140m

Post by jimbones »

I thought I had a line on a pair of LP140m. Not sure if it is going to happen. I currently have the P12's. What is an option in my upgrade path. Note I prefer monoblocks as they weight less than a stereo unit. I like to keep the weight around 55 lbs per unit if possible. Thanks
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You know, the more I think about this, the less inclined I would be to make a change at this incremental level.

Maybe save for a year or two and get into an early ART series.

An advantage is that you get to see if the tube situation stabilizes before plunking down more money.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:05 pm I thought I had a line on a pair of LP140m. Not sure if it is going to happen. I currently have the P12's. What is an option in my upgrade path. Note I prefer monoblocks as they weight less than a stereo unit. I like to keep the weight around 55 lbs per unit if possible. Thanks
If weight is really an absolute requirement, a Classic 62 from the current line is possibly the only real competitor to the LP140m. Some of the MV series amps are below 55 lbs, but not all. But you may be going backwards with the MV series.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:56 pm You know, the more I think about this, the less inclined I would be to make a change at this incremental level.

Maybe save for a year or two and get into an early ART series.

An advantage is that you get to see if the tube situation stabilizes before plunking down more money.
Art Series 1?
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Admin lucked into (was goaded into) an incredible deal on the original ART monoblocks. Of course the weight issue will be in play. But you don’t handle them daily. Just to install or remove. You can hire a helper or impose on a friend to get them in.

Others will disagree, but I don’t see the point of an intermediate step up.

The smartest guy here, Joe Appierto, has moved to a CA200. Maybe he knows something. :?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Some interesting points there:
If weight is an absolute issue, considering the Classic 62/se that's a good option.

*However note* the Classic 62 is no where close to the LP140, hell no! The LP140m are only less in weight to power ratio compared to the big LP275m. Both are capable of extremely high current, very high voltages and plenty of power in reserve to drive anything! These monoblock power amplifiers replaced CJ's Premier series line in every aspect! So if you want to stick within that Premier line up... it's either the LP series monoblocks or the ART series 1. Anything lower in series of amps is actually going backwards. That's also ok if you're planning on downsizing.

Perhaps the ARTsa would be more on par... but that thing is not a light weight. Although, if it was Ronnie Coleman pumping iron, he would say "yeah buddy! light weight!" For Ronnie anything is light weight.

If weight is a real issue then just get a CAV45S2 and call it a day. Looks like you're going in circles... or haven't found a good reference point. As one of your mates said, best is to just keep the Prem12's. Do a full cap replacement when required, get some Teflons if possible, look after the amps well and sit back and just enjoy the music!

Cheers, RJ
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Agree with RJ for the most part. Updating Premier 12 to TEFLON caps is not a cost effective path. The current C1 update eliminated two capacitors in the B+ supply that were previously included for the same price. So latest C1 upgrade is like a C1 2021-ish minus 2 caps for the same price. Last I knew C1 is $1,600/amp. You can get the two B+ TEFLON capacitors but it's an additional $350.00/amp. At about $4,000.00/pair for C1 upgrade, it's better value to buy a used pair of LP140M. To clarify, those are approximate numbers, and you need to contact CJ for official quotes.

Weight constraint and power level limit choice to Premier 12, or LP140M. LP125MSE is an option but don't see many for sale. If you remove weight constraint but move to more powerful mono amp, the options are Premier 8, LP275M, LP260MSE, ART mono, or ART 300. If you keep power level in the 125 to 140 range but are willing to accept a stereo amp, the options are LP125SA, ARTsa, Classic 120, or ART150.

Excluding the Premier series, the referenced amps are up to about 10 or 12 years old.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

SolderSlinger wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:34 am Agree with RJ for the most part. Updating Premier 12 to TEFLON caps is not a cost effective path. The current C1 update eliminated two capacitors in the B+ supply that were previously included for the same price. So latest C1 upgrade is like a C1 2021-ish minus 2 caps for the same price. Last I knew C1 is $1,600/amp. You can get the two B+ TEFLON capacitors but it's an additional $350.00/amp. At about $4,000.00/pair for C1 upgrade, it's better value to buy a used pair of LP140M. To clarify, those are approximate numbers, and you need to contact CJ for official quotes.

Weight constraint and power level limit choice to Premier 12, or LP140M. LP125MSE is an option but don't see many for sale. If you remove weight constraint but move to more powerful mono amp, the options are Premier 8, LP275M, LP260MSE, ART mono, or ART 300. If you keep power level in the 125 to 140 range but are willing to accept a stereo amp, the options are LP125SA, ARTsa, Classic 120, or ART150.

Excluding the Premier series, the referenced amps are up to about 10 or 12 years old.
I think @RJ is saying that even the LP140m is an incremental upgrade not worth considering???
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

LP140

Post by jimbones »

Correction, That was Another Johnson..I believe saying that moving from the P12 to LP140m was an incremental move that may not be worth pursuing. Is that so AJ??
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:48 am Admin lucked into (was goaded into) an incredible deal on the original ART monoblocks. Of course the weight issue will be in play. But you don’t handle them daily. Just to install or remove. You can hire a helper or impose on a friend to get them in.

Others will disagree, but I don’t see the point of an intermediate step up.

The smartest guy here, Joe Appierto, has moved to a CA200. Maybe he knows something. :?
Everyone says that,but I have had back surgery and have to becareful. Theres carrying it in the house when they arrive, bring them down to my listening room. setting them up. If they ever have have to go in for service Oh Lord! Then getting them back again lol!! You get my point.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:33 pm Everyone says that,but I have had back surgery and have to becareful. Theres carrying it in the house when they arrive, bring them down to my listening room. setting them up. If they ever have have to go in for service Oh Lord! Then getting them back again lol!! You get my point.
You have to watch out for your health. That's number one. There is not a lot of fun in listening to music when your back is hurting.

Two things that that have saved me a lot of headache and back pain are lifting straps and dolly. With two people and this equipment it really is a game changer to move stuff. Something to consider but again, personal injury is too high of a price for any amp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/material- ... 58312.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/forearm-l ... 56627.html
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I can’t lift stuff either. I meet the delivery guy with a mobile cart. I get it into my garage adjacent to the music room. And I hire a local moving guy, or wait for one of my sons.

Getting stuff out is a similar drill.

I can handle about 50 pounds by myself, but that’s it.

That’s the great thing about the ARC REF 75SE. In my opinion, in my system it blows away the CJ amps I’ve owned, but it’s got handles, and it only weighs 47 pounds. I have never owned anything from the ART series, so no experience there. But 47 pounds is GREAT!
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:42 pm
jimbones wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:33 pm Everyone says that,but I have had back surgery and have to becareful. Theres carrying it in the house when they arrive, bring them down to my listening room. setting them up. If they ever have have to go in for service Oh Lord! Then getting them back again lol!! You get my point.
You have to watch out for your health. That's number one. There is not a lot of fun in listening to music when your back is hurting.

Two things that that have saved me a lot of headache and back pain are lifting straps and dolly. With two people and this equipment it really is a game changer to move stuff. Something to consider but again, personal injury is too high of a price for any amp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/material- ... 58312.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/forearm-l ... 56627.html
HaHa I have those items as well!