AQ Cinnamon Ethernet Cable

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

AQ Cinnamon Ethernet Cable

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve been buying my CAT6 Ethernet cables from Amazon. They’ve all worked fine. Prices have been very modest, under $30 for 50’ to 100’ runs, and less than $20 for multipacks of under 10’ jumpers to go from the switches to the devices.

A month or two ago a 1.5 meter AudioQuest Cinnamon was offered used at TMR audio.com and I bought it to try.

It came, I tossed it on the table, and forgot about it.

Today I was packing up the REF250SEs for a trip to Ann Arbor, and I had an open space on the console, so I decided to move my headphone stack over there. As part of this project, I hooked the ND8006 up to the Ethernet via the switch. Since I was playing there anyway, I replaced the cat6 generic cable to the Rossini with the AQ Cinnamon.

I’m running the Rossini from Qobuz via Mosaic. I think there is even more detail than on a typical Saturday night.

As illogical as it might appear, the Cinnamon cable is marked as directional. The retail for a 1.5 m j45 terminated length is $130. I don’t remember what I gave, but I try to get at least 50% off AQ cables as a rule. I would definitely buy it again. I’d like to try some higher up in the AQ line.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: AQ Cinnamon Ethernet Cable

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Transparent has better pricing for long lengths compared to AQ. So does Cardas. I’d like to put an audiophile grade Ethernet cable between the Roon Nucleus and the switch.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I've tried the AQ Pearl Ethernet cable and while it's the bottom of their product line it is one of my favorites. I haven't tried any of the real higher end cables. The most expensive one I've bought is the In-Akustik Referenz which is a Cat 6 type with silver-plated 24 gauge wires. The 1M was $68 and the 2M was $86 which included shipping from Germany which wasn't cheap.

I like AQ and use their Forest USB 3 cables. Currently running the AQ CV-4 speaker cables and find them to be smooth, detailed with a pretty good frequency response. Their products up the line in many cable categories are some of the best but pretty pricey.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great. I know some people don't believe in digital cables making a difference (or even analog for that matter) but your ears have to be the final judge. Obviously with high end cables like that and very long runs this can get very expensive very fast but I think these costs can be reasonable when looking in the context of the price of the entire stereo.

From a cosmetic standpoint, do the cables feel any different than the generic ones from amazon?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Fancy woven jackets. Fancy insulation. Different gauges and allows. Fancy J45 terminations. He sky’s the limit it would appear. Especially for AudioQuest. Even at a good discount.

Transparent looks like a better bet for me. And maybe an Innuos PhoenixNet switch for good measure.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a link to TMR new listing with picture.

https://tmraudio.com/shop-new/accessori ... net-cable/

It’s cat7. Solid 1.25% silver wires. Etc

The Vodka and Diamond models are higher.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a link to Transparent Reference.

https://www.transparentcable.com/produc ... m-ethernet

It’s cat6. You have to wonder.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I posted my response/question to the wrong thread:

"There are a good number of Ethernet cables that are well-regarded from the usual cable company suspects.

I looked at the Transparent cable you mentioned AJ and it doesn't go up astronomically with a 50 foot terminated cable run costing $1,055 or $21.10 a foot. The longest run I could find of Audioquest Cinnamon was 39 feet (12M) at $400 or $10.25 a foot. I seem to remember that you use/need 50 feet?

The sweet spot in the AQ line is (from what I've read) their Vodka Ethernet cable at $2,650 for 39 feet at which point the Transparent looks a lot more attractive pricewise.

Are we talking a few meter patch cord length or a 50 foot hook-up?"
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Cinnamon level is a taste as far as their other cable types are concerned.

I have Cinnamon, Coffee, and Diamond versions of their digital coax, all bought used from TMR, and just like with the RCA and XLR and speaker cable products, higher in the line is better.

The patch cords and switch seem like the first place. In the main system, a 1m, a 1.5m, a 2m, and a 10’ would do nicely.

Transparent Reference is a very good level in my experience, and they have more length options than AQ, including the 2m option.

If I wanted to change out the runs to the switch in the main two channel system, I’d have to get them to make me a custom length. I do have a 50’ run to the HT, but the run to the main two channel is longer.

I am think Transparent is the way to go. Four patch cords and a switch upgrade would be a good start.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Sounds like a plan.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

AJ, I hesitate to even mention this because it sounds like you've come to a decision and I may just muddy the waters but something did occur to me. The Ethernet cable I did like the most but had to sell because of financial constraints at one point were two 1M Wireworld Starlight 8 Twinax Ethernet cables. They were the best I've ever tried and as these things work out also the most expensive. They come in 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 10 meter lengths and range in price from $237.50 to $950.

Here's the Wireworld product link. There are a bunch of reviews available online as well.

https://wireworldcable.com/collections/ ... rnet-cable

I hope you don't mind and maybe I should've just remained silent but...
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:40 pm AJ, I hesitate to even mention this because it sounds like you've come to a decision and I may just muddy the waters but something did occur to me. The Ethernet cable I did like the most but had to sell because of financial constraints at one point were two 1M Wireworld Starlight 8 Twinax Ethernet cables. They were the best I've ever tried and as these things work out also the most expensive. They come in 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 10 meter lengths and range in price from $237.50 to $950.

Here's the Wireworld product link. There are a bunch of reviews available online as well.

https://wireworldcable.com/collections/ ... rnet-cable

I hope you don't mind and maybe I should've just remained silent but...
I appreciate the tip. I really did want (and value) your honest opinion. Thanks!

Edit: Like Transparent, the cost for longer lengths isn’t silly (as is the case with AQ). The patch cord lengths are not cost prohibitive.

Any thoughts on switches?