Channel Imbalance, CT5 easy fix

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Channel Imbalance, CT5 easy fix

Post by SteveFord »

It's been a while since I've listened to the 3.7 system but I got a remastered Leon Russell CD and wanted to hear how it did with ribbons.
Did good except for I looked up and the channel balance was off.
What the heck? I go to adjust it and one side goes to 0.
Hunka junk, sure glad I kept my Sonic Frontiers preamp, I know that works fine, I used it just the other day.
So, I shut the preamp off, unplug it and stick fresh batteries in the remote.
Problem solved! The remote had Amazon brand batteries in it from the previous owner, I never heard of such a thing.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Channel Imbalance, CT5 easy fix

Post by admin »

Glad that is all it was. BTW, I've bought Amazon brand batteries before, I think they call them Amazon Basics, and they've worked well. I try to inspect my remotes on a regular basis but it's more to look for battery leakage which has happened to me before.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,
I went back to the famous rabbit playing the drums batteries...they last longer than the Amazon batteries. This is my finding and in my system. The price on the Amazon batteries is lower than the Duracell, but I'm sticking with the Duracell. And yes, fool of me.

This might be because of my last mistake with my ET-7 remote control. When I sold my previous ET-7, I gave the new remote control to the new owner of the ET-7. I brought to my table fresh Amazon batteries, and due to a super big mistake because my new puppy dog was eating everything around, I putted back the old ones and the remote did not work (of course). The new look of the Duracell helped me to do again the changed of the batteries. Also, I have testers around and my fault again, I did not use it to check the voltage of the batteries, until when I changed them for a fresh Duracell brand.

There is nothing wrong using Amazon brand or...any other brand is OK.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I should also note that periodically do a visual inspection on the batteries in your remotes. I've had two devices where the battery leaked. One was a remote control to a DVD player and the other for a video game controller. The DVD controller died and I had to buy a replacement, the video game controller I was able to clean the corroded contact and it's working. Luckily both were in cheap consumer electronics gear that I don't care too much about but I've decided that I am going to be more vigilant and do a visual inspection from now on and examine the batteries in the remotes of the more expensive gear. The metal CJ remote is a pretty penny to replace and I would hate for it to be ruined by a $1 battery.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Good advice and also a very good point Admin. Cheap batteries might leak and ruin the remote control. That happened to me too. Good brand and well known brands are almost leak free. This does not means that the expensive batteries do not leak. And yes, they do. Your advice must be done every two months or so. Check the ones that started to look funny, different color or its shape is uneven, rough, rugged. This tells the batteries must be changed immediately.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.