Classic 62SE On The Way

From tubes to solid state.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Classic 62SE On The Way

Post by Paolo »

My brand-new 62se should be here in about two weeks. Meanwhile I'm researching tube preamps. The latest ET7 is too costly and I'm not sure that it's right for us anyway. Fortunately there are plenty of other choices available

More later.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Classic 62SE On The Way

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Well done on the Classic 62se!

You'll really enjoy this one, and many more hours listening to those fine tunes!

With regards to preamps, yes plenty of choices from other top makes. However, in my experience I've always found greater sense of synergy between CJ pre-power combinations. The other gear, such as source components; phono-preamps, DACs, TT and digital playback systems plus ancillary gear can always be selected based on individual preferences and needs.

Pre-power match ups are very critical to me, and must have that overall drive and control factor over the speakers. The rest of the gear can be altered over a period of time when required.

Keep us posted when the unit arrives and how you find it driving your speakers. What are the improvements and how did the amplifier enhance the overall performance of your listening experience on recorded music.

Cheers mate, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Completely agree with RJ. Lots of choices but I've also found that a good match between preamp and amp is crucial for the best possible output. I also find that I tend to rotate sources most frequently out of the lineup. The preamp/amp combo tends to stay consistent except for periodic larger upgrades, and then often I will upgrade both in short order.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

I suppose the logical and rational choice in a preamp is CJ. Keeping it in the same family makes a lot of sense. Previously-owned is fine as long as the item is not "too vintage." Been there. Done that. :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would make a lot of sense and pretty much guarantee a synergistic match. You mention that the ET7 is out of the price range. Would a preowned unit be in the range? Or maybe an ET6?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

@Admin
Agreed on the synergy factor.

Until I find a suitable tube preamp, I'll be using the preamp section of a Luxman 550AXii with the CJ. I figure the Classic 62SE is going to require significant burn-in time. A local fellow has an ACT preamp for sale but of course it's "vintage" and his asking price seems a bit high to me. Newer makes more sense.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Having owned items in the "vintage" category, there are definitely some overt advantages to owning a newer unit. Components do fail over time and this is significantly less likely on newer equipment. I also think that the circuit design has always been incrementally improved. Not to say that CJ preamps didn't sound good decades ago (quite the opposite), but the newer designs are more refined in my opinion. And I say this as a person who currently runs CJ gear made in the 90's.
-admin
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

There are a few non-CJ preamps that look interesting. One that especially caught my attention is the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.4. Another is the Wells Audio Commander. With regard to vintage gear, I had fine MFA separates for decades. Eventually they became vintage. :) and cost a considerable amount of time and money to update and maintain. Then, VTL, and most recently, a PV5 which someone had "updated" sloppily. I paired that with an MV55 which started red-plating output tubes. I sent both units back to the dealer. and bought a brand new, highly regarded Classic 62SE from him.

As I said earlier about vintage. Been there. Done that! :). Now I want either new or in new condition. I deserve no less. (that's a self-deprecating joke)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Took a look at the Backert and Wells Audio units. Very interesting. I've never personally listened to any of their offerings but they certainly look nice. Definitely let us know what you decide on.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sorry to be a noob... but one of our former sub-dealers did offer these two makes quite a few years back, Backert & Wells Audio gear along with another brand called, Vincent. Although very reasonable in price range, and if that's your primary concern... then by all means ok.

However, the biggest issue you're going to have here is based around your power amplifier. The Classic 62se is FAR ahead of any of these brands put together!

Note: this is "conrad johnson" we're talking about... it sits in a completely different league, there's zero comparison.

After going for an amplifier, such as the Classic 62se and settling for a tube preamp or any linestage of lesser quality is just not going to make it. In which case then why even go for a Classic 62se? Might as well just stick with the Backert or Wells Audio line, c'mon mate.

With this particular combination, you'll still get tunes to play no doubt but they certainly won't be FINE tunes. No chance!

Our sub-dealer discontinued these brands altogether. For a more competitive line-up, he started offering the Classic preamp, Classic SE and fully refurbed PV12's and PV15's. Even though these preamps go quite a while back, they are far ahead of the entry-level category of any other brand or make, simply based on the following:

Three critical areas that are highly regarded in CJ gear:
1. Power supplies (high value type & rock solid)
2. Main tube circuit (based on Class A circuits)
3. High quality parts (used right throughout)

If you consider the above three areas and compare them to these other two brands you're considering, they all compromise in those areas, there's just no comparison.

It would be a shame partnering your Classic 62se with anything less in quality. OTOH, if you were looking at say ARC, VTL, VAC, Lamm, CAT, Leben, Allnic... etc, this is the league where CJ resides and in some cases even surpasses.

Hope you make the right choice.
Best, RJ
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

@admin, Local dealer reps the Backert that he loaned me for a couple of weeks. In my home, in my system, I preferred the ET5. "It just sounds right." The Backert is nice, and very dynamic. Kick drum has a lot of impact. After listening to it for a bit it made me think of the old dbx dynamic range expanders, or a McIntosh MC2300.

@Big Dog RJ, Conrad Johnson Classic 2 SE preamp is a very good suggestion. Like an ET3 SE without remote control. Only drawback is no balance control. I like the balance feature of the ET5 (I believe the ET7 works the same way) because I typically adjust soundstage left or right a click or two.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, correct! Very valid point.

I sincerely believe if having settled on a Classic 62se, then the preamp must be on the same level or higher. Otherwise it's a half baked cake. Just my 50cts worth and in my experience having owned a vast variety of CJ pre - power systems.

Cheers, RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Hola Gents,
Thank you for your experienced contributions. The ET5 has been recommended to me by others.

RJ, are you certain it was Wells Audio that one of your sub dealers offered? Have you ever listened to any of the Wells gear yourself?

As I noted in a previous post, CJ is the logical choice for a preamp so that is likely where I'll wind up.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes mate, it was Wells Audio as well as other gear, such as the Backert and Vincent. Since these preamps all use tubes in one form or the other, it was an alternative choice of preamp to consider. Only when I heard them set up with my Quads, did I realise there's just no comparison with CJ.

That's actually a match made in heaven! CJ and Quad ESL's, one of best and finest soundstage depth you'll ever experience! You can achieve similar depth with other panel type speakers by careful placement but with Quads it was effortless! That was one of their greatest strengths but that's a different story altogether.

When I upgraded along the Quad ESL line, from 988, 989, 2805, 2905 to 2912's, I tried these preamps including the Vincent. Not any of them were designed in the same league as compared to CJ gear in terms of: power supplies, Class A circuits and high quality parts.

Of course there are others, such as ARC, VTL, VAC, Lamm, CAT, Allnic and Audio Note to name a few but can be quite pricey. As I said before, this is the level where CJ is at.
So why compromise?

You don't have to purchase brand new or at high price points in order to achieve top quality sound. Wait for the right gear to show up and something tops comes along once in a while. There's quite a number of CJ preamps that are a fine piece of Art when it comes to highend Linestages: CJ's Premier series was superb, ACT2, CT5, ET5, ET3SE, ET6se, ET7S2 and GAT/ S2 or even the ET7 original version was tops!

Then mustn't forget the Classic preamps. No remote, no balance controls, no bells no whistles, just pure analog and a beautiful thing! CJ offered the Classic / SE and then the Classic 2 SE, and then discontinued the Classic preamps altogether! What a shame. I guess they decided to go full remote route, and so now only offer the ET series and the ART.

So have patience, don't be in a hurry matey. Something truly tops will come your way... just keep a close eye on things.
Cheers, and keep us posted.
RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Cheers RJ,
Thanks for all the fine information. You certainly have had much broader experience with tube gear than I. The best tube preamp I ever owned was the MFA Luminescence and, based on that long experience, I am partial to octal tubes but knowing full-well that there are many fine tube components that do not use use them. A funny thing, somehow I got along without a remote for decades but now, I much prefer to have one.

I have high expectation for the 62SE but will take my time selecting a tube preamp. Meanwhile I'll be using the preamp section of an Accuphase integrated to run-in the 62.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes that'll work for now. Plus with the Accuphase you'll manage to save up without going for a mediocre preamp.

Once something tops come along then you'll be ready. When you do finally get that perfect pre- power match, and it controls your 62se supremely well then you'll understand what I mean by "enjoying those fine tunes!"

Cheers matey, and keep us posted.
Have a good one now, RJ
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the 62se. I currently have a MV60se and plan on upgrading to the Classic 62se in the new year. I’ve really enjoyed my 60se but thought it was time to either upgrade the unit or trade up. I acquired an ET3se in mint condition a few years ago and plan on pairing it with my 62se. If cost is an issue, like others have mentioned, take your time and find a used CJ preamp. Don’t settle for anything else. Remember, you deserve this… By the way, RJ is a tremendous resource!
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

My amp is here. It was delivered safely this afternoon, carried to my front door by a very careful and respectful FedEx employee. The box showed no signs of mishandling during its 3000 mile journey. I took my time unpacking and inserting the tubes. Without plugging it in, I gave it about 90 minutes to adjust to room temp, then turned it on. I'm using the preamp section of an Accuphase E-280 integrated to control the 62. The pairing seems to be quite agreeable. I will be getting a tube preamp soon.

Since the amp and tubes are brand new, I'll save further comments until at least 100 or maybe 200 additional hours of run-in time. But even at this early stage, I think it's a keeper. :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. I think you will find the sound further improving after some burn-in time. But sounds like it's a good start. Congrats.
-admin
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

admin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:22 pm Very nice. I think you will find the sound further improving after some burn-in time. But sounds like it's a good start. Congrats.
Thank you Mr. Admin.
CJ confirmed for me today that the 200 hr. mark is about right for burn-in. By then I should have my tube preamp, too. I will say that even after about 28 hours of playtime the 62 is smoothing out and sweetening up. Been streaming Mozart and Haydn works for French Horn and orchestra this evening. Burnished...Beautiful.