GL KT88's?

From tubes to solid state.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

GL KT88's?

Post by jimbones »

Anyone try Gold Lion (or other brand) KT88's in their amps over the 6550? I have the P12 wit SED 6550 Winged C and was considering the KT88's. What should I expect as far as differences from the 6550?
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: GL KT88's?

Post by Joe Appierto »

The New Sensor Gold Lion KT88s will produce a bit more output at the same volume settings due to their 42 watts plate dissipation versus the 35 for the 6550C. I found transients a little more pronounced with the 6550C when used in the 11A and the 140. At the time (10 years ago), the GL KT88 and the SED =C= 6550C were my favorite current production output tubes. I doubt you will be disappointed -- I thought they even gave the original Genalex KT88 a run for the money. Their sound was that similar to my ears and considering the originals were obscenely expensive even back then, more so.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: GL KT88's?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's about right. Agree with Joe on those differences between these two types.

Also just to add, the most noticeable difference to me was the midrange. The KT88's sounded more open and rich, especially on vocals, sounded more profound. The 6550C are great tubes, with a nice lush midrange and well rounded bass. The KT88 seems to get that lower note bit more defined or detailed I would say.

Whether this is a good thing or not, I wouldn't know. Simply because for different reasons people have personal preferences. Some don't like the KT88's stating that they try to push too hard... and end up half way. And this is where the KT120's come into affect, with greater extension on the full spectrum, from highs to glorious open mids to tight low bass, and a well balanced sound all round.

Then those who prefer the KT150 say they prefer that "fuller sound " and to those who don't like the KT150 say it's an overblown sound with an artificial effect, similar comments made towards the KT170. Most say it's a KT150 on steroids!

I've listened to all these types and ended up with the KT120's now since 2005. Having auditioned most of them and their variants, I wouldn't really rank any of them as being superior to another. It's all to do with personal preference and that's the beauty of tooobs! Can't do that with SS.

There's the other camp that just love the old EL34, been around for decades! And of course the SET tubes, those handful of Class A watts 8- 12w 300B, 845's, GL6 series and so on... they swear by these. Again personal preference.

So choose the one that gives you what you're looking for. That's provided you know what you're after!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ