Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
AndrewOkay
New User
New User

New Member Presentation

Post by AndrewOkay »

Hello!

I am a new member and a proud owner of a CJ Premier 10 Pre-Amp. I've owned this Pre-Amp for 9 years now and have had a few solid state and tube pre-amps come and go over the years. I couldn't be happier with the quality build and sound of this unit regardless of the periodic maintenance that is needed to the volume control.

I was on the F.B. Conrad Owners Page reading about other owners issues and requesting schematics which is what initially lead me to this page. I'm very pleased to see such a good and knowledgeable following in this group. Needless to say, much like any other components pushing 30 years old, sonic problems will begin to prevail. Unlike some so called "Hi-End" manufacturers, the components from this brand is definitely worth the effort to keep up to snuff!......

A little bio history of myself - I started out around 14 years old with friends and their family listening to Klipsch. At 15, I bought a pair with a Sumo amp. Borrowed a old Dynaco Pass 3 PreAmp, and I was rocking! At 16 years old, I was able to purchase a brand new (cheapest they offered) Classe CP-35 Pre-Amp and returned the Dynaco to the lender. Classe had great build quality and it had a remote! But, didn't exactly sound better than the Dynaco Tube Pre Amp. But was happy with the conveniency of having a remote control (young and dumb). At 20 years old, picked up a stock Dynaco ST-70 and updated the caps and power supply. That was a big transition from the Sumo.

Fast forward 10 years (at the age of 30) while searching the used market, I found a pair of Martin Logan Requests. Knowing that I needed a amp to drive these thirsty speakers, I was able to find a 300 watt Krell. From there, I upgraded the Requests, went to the Odysseys and then to the Prodigys. In-between purchasing the Martin Logan's (from the used market), I began to realize the speakers can only be as good as the source (and everything in-between). So, I bought the CJ Premier and knew that selling my solid state Classe Pre Amp was a no brainier. Shortly after that, acquired a few Krell Pre-Amps but wouldn't hold a candle to the CJ Premier.

As I approached my 40s (yikes, where did the time go)...I needed to thin the herd. Sold off the electrostatics due to the price of the replacement panels that have been continuing to climb thru the roof since the 2010's and got into B&W's.

I know we all have our own opinions regarding speakers and the technology behind them and I definitely do too. I am not here for than and would never push my options on anyone. Just hope to have the same in return! An old audio salesman once told me " Audio and Speakers are like Slurpees and Ice Cream......we all love them .....but what's YOUR favorite flavor?!"

ANDY
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member Presentation

Post by admin »

Hi Andy,
Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us. Some great history there. I was once a Martin Logan owner as well. Had a pair of Vantages which I really loved. Ultimately moved on to Magnepan but still have fond memories of the ML's. The Premier 10 is a mighty fine unit. Enjoy the tunes!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Andy, welcome to CJO woof!

Nice bit of history there... and can certainly relate to the SS gear and Krell experience, and still preferring the CJ Premier 10. That's a true dual mono preamp design, derived from the legendary Premier 7. The Prem10 though shares one power cord and one transformer, so even further refined from the Prem7 era.

Nice one mate. Bit sad you sold off the electrostats, I guess you had your reasons. CJ gear with panel type speakers, especially full range stats is a match made in heaven!

Of course there are so many other options and systems when it comes to matching speakers, either way, CJ will always take you to a very high level of musicality. It's a beautiful thing!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Andy,
This forum is a truly friendly and the respect for each other thrives. We are a family. So, you are super welcome. Great history and please feel open to share all your thoughts.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Lanchile
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lanchile »

Hello CJ people. I just subscribed to this forum since now I have a new to me…lol “vintage “ Conrad Johnson PF2 preamp. I just got it today. I opened the top and I just saw QUALITY and PRIDE that these people put there, wow, wow and more wow. I swapped my old Bryston preamp and I was shocked by the improvement in the sound….wow this “old” CJ kicked my loved Bryston out of water. I can hear and “feel” the beautiful sound now. I wish I had the extra mula to get the new CJ gears…. They must be a dream. Maybe one day! For now I am very happy with this old timer. Hat off to Conrad Johnson for their quality amps and preamps.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

H Lanchile,
Welcome to the site. Great to have you with us.

Hey, my introduction to CJ was also a PF2. It was a very similar situation where it kind of opened my eyes to the difference between high end audio vs what you get off the shelf at your local big box electronic store. So congrats on the discovery of this "new world."

Since then I have tried different types of gear but my ears have always dragged me back to CJ. Perhaps they will do the same for you. Although the latest new CJ gear would set you back a small fortune, there is no need to strive for that now. Enjoy the PF2. Also, as you have found, there are some great bargains on vintage CJ gear that comes up on the market. Online stores like US Audiomart, Audiogon and even our Classifieds section here have multiple listings. I worked up the line but still use some Vintage CJ gear (an MV-55) in a 2nd system.

Well, again, welcome and enjoy the tunes. I think you'll find that the PF2 just sounds right.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Lanchile
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lanchile »

Thanks Administrator, (I don’t know the name lol) for welcoming me. I will try to know more about CJ equipments and the fantastic people here. Again Thanks for having me here.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Welcome Lanchile...and just be aware of the bug that can bites you. This bug makes you sick and the sickness is to buy Conrad Johnson goods. Now you are aware about it. Just looking inside of any model vintage or new CJ product, you will find quality components. And also its CJ design and signature sound quality. I would say Conrad Johnson has no regret. Enjoy your new improved sound!

Happy liistening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.