MV-55 - condition of Solen PPE MKP capacitors

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
RJKflyer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

MV-55 - condition of Solen PPE MKP capacitors

Post by RJKflyer »

Whilst inside the amp to replace a failed rectifier, I note that some of the Solen HT caps show 'leakage' - is this simply the adhesive for the outer wrap leaking out?

Should I consider replacement, or is the actual cap likely to be satisfactory?

This one is 4µ (in the 12AX7 HT PSU) - will a 3µ9 or 4µ7 be OK?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MV-55 - condition of Solen PPE MKP capacitors

Post by admin »

Replace it. Caps can go bad before showing any signs of physical changes, but if I see any bulging/discoloration/leakage,... I would replace it.

BTW- I really like Solen and have used it in a number of my equipment so no need to change brand IMHO.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RJKflyer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by RJKflyer »

Agree re Solen - I have ordered new replacements but not 4µ - have 4µ7 as it's hard in UK to get the non-standard values.

Given the location in the circuit, I can't see an issue with the mild change of value - can you?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Solen ships from Canada. I have ordered from them directly (I'm in the US) and shipping was reasonable. I don't know if it's significantly more to the UK.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.