Synthesis LM-260 Mid-woofer

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
jobob42
Regular
Regular

Synthesis LM-260 Mid-woofer

Post by jobob42 »

Hello all. I have a pair of the LM-260 speakers that I bough around 16 months ago. I thought all was well, but I just pressed one of the mid-woofers gently and it had no give. The other one moves freely. It plays, although I would guess that if I really crank it I would notice a difference right away. Might explain why the imaging didn't seem quite there...

I have attached a photo. Focal 8n-412
0-3.jpg
I guess buying might be cheaper than repairing; I see one in Belgium for $98. Also Audax has one via Madisound for $163 but I would have to get 2 for them to pair well. Any thought are very much appreciated. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Synthesis LM-260 Mid-woofer

Post by admin »

Zero chance that they still make those so I think you are looking for a replacement as the only option. If you go with replacement, definitely replace the one in the other speaker as they will not sound the same.

As a side note, I would also take a look at the crossover. If you have the speaker apart, maybe a good time to look for components in the crossover that may be showing their age.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Bill at Millersound is great at rebuilding drivers

http://millersound.net/
jobob42
Regular
Regular

Post by jobob42 »

Yes. I sent Millersound an e-mail. If the price is right I may go that route. I'm actually already thinking that once repaired I will experience a whole new, uh, experience from my system. Positive thinking!
jobob42
Regular
Regular

Post by jobob42 »

0-4.jpg
OK. Including shipping, the speaker from Belgium will be ~ $180. The vendor says it is new, but of course that's NOS. A repair from Millersound is $164 plus shipping from my end, so the cost is almost identical. But I feel that only one is guaranteed, so I will go with Bill at Millersound. The cost of the Audax from Madisound is, of course, $163 plus shipping. Amazing, but I would need to buy a pair and Dave Fokos designed the LM-260 around the Focal so... Thank you everybody for your feedback.

Admin suggested examining the crossover components. I have zero experience with this. The crossovers are well glued into the bottom of the cabinet, and if could loosen the adhesive that holds the wooden plate that they are attached to I could examine them. Indeed it looks like a previous owner may have done this. Any thoughts are appreciated.
0-5.jpg
0-6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Looks like there is a viable repair solution here.

As for the crossover caps, I think the black ones are not original. They appear to by Solen. The white ones are original. I would just check them carefully, if there is any sign of bulging or dysfunction, now would be the best time to replace them as the speakers are already taken apart.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jobob42
Regular
Regular

Post by jobob42 »

Hello again. I haven't sent this off to Millersound yet, although I will. I came across this post on Audiocircle from 2017, from Australia. This person's speakers may have been a later build as the drivers are the same as mine and the crossover very close to mine (Photo attached). Interesting. I will just check for bulging as Admin suggests. A different (earlier?) build used a clear Focal 8P511 and had different crossover components.
image.jpg
image-2.jpg
image-3.jpg
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very common to see these kinds of modifications with speakers of this age. It's also a relatively simple crossover design which makes it easier to do component replacements. Again, I think it's a good time to inspect components and do replacements if you have the speaker disassembled already.
-admin