The PV-1 to now...
Joeydk
Regular
Regular

Tubes for PV10al

Post by Joeydk »

Hi there.

I am about to get my hands on a PV10al.

Any recommendations on particular 12au7 or equivalents which will work troublefree?

I am looking for tubes with a great rhythmic sonic signature more than making the PV10 slow.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tubes for PV10al

Post by admin »

I bought GENALEX - GOLD LION ECC82 / B749 for my PV-12L in the past and really liked them. They were bought from The Tube Store with direct consultation with Jon over there.

Here is the direct link: https://www.thetubestore.com/genalex-go ... ecc82-b749

As for "troublefree", there is always an unpredictable failure risk with tubes, but I think the most important thing is to buy from a reputable dealer. If there is any problem or premature failure, they will have your back and make it right. I would also spring the few extra bucks to get them matched.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RJKflyer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by RJKflyer »

Agree fully re matching, and note that this means both sections as well as both tubes. Remember you have no balance control...

I've had my PV-10AL for 20 years and it remains a fine-sounding preamp. The only 'bad' tubes have been brand new chinese tubes - I've had several failures, poor performers, bad sonics, imbalances and binned the lot.

I cannot say that of GENELEX in particular however as have not tried them.

Never heard it described as 'slow' so cannot point you away from any in particular. Some NOS work really well indeed, although don't be too suckered in by the ridiculously expensive and rare XYZ version of Brand ABC. Remember c-j had to make this work consistently, and repeatably, with commercially available merchandise, not to say that we can't find our own sweet spots.

I think you need to be willing to experiment. These are tubes, not semiconductors and the various makes and internal designs lend themselves to a parallel but independent set of sliding scales of noise, microphonics, sonics and gain to some extent - only you will decide which combination 'best' for you.

One comment I would leave you with is that it may take several hours to bed in new tubes, so don't be too fearful of, for example, some tube rush at first go.
Joeydk
Regular
Regular

Post by Joeydk »

Hi

Would it be safe to use 6189 or 5814 tubes in the PV10?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I used 6189 in mine with no problems at all but never did try any 5814. My all-time favorites for my PV10AL which I bought in the 1990s and may be difficult to get nowadays were Amperex Bugle Boy 7316. Even back then they were kind of expensive but not stupid expensive as some vintage tubes are currently.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Plenty of 6189 NOS options. I personally want lowest noise, low microphonics, and tight internal triode matching in the 1% to 2% range. 10% to 20% is not tightly matched.

I agree with Admin, the reissue Gold Lion 12AU7 is a great tube.