The six-channel MET1

The PV-1 to now...
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

The six-channel MET1

Post by jeffreybehr »

I bought one of these directly from c-j (1) years ago. I had started my home-theater system with a Marantz 9000-something pre/pro. After that, I decided that the DACs living in discplayers were just fine and bought an Audio Refinements all-analog 6-channel preamp, the Pre-5 (2). I improved the coupling and powersupply caps in it but eventually decided I wanted something better. After Harry Pearson's VERY-positive 'tease' that appeared in an issue of The Absolute Sound, I bought the MET1. It's of the 'propylene-couplers-with-'styrene-bypasses generation with NO 'lytics in the hi-Voltage PS It uses six M8080 (3) tubes (allegedly a single-triode version of the 12AU7), MOSFET output buffers, and has NO digital circuitry. It started out to be a very-nice-sounding preamp for 2- and multichannel sound and movies, and its Ambient Recovery Mode added a bit of ambience to 2-channel recordings while it also created a great center-dialog channel from stereo broadcasts.

Here's a pic in original condition with the 6 coupling-cap combos circled.

Eventually, as my system got more transparent, I wanted to improve the MET1 and did so with the telefonic help of Sonic Craft's Jeffrey Glowacki (4). I replaced the left- and right-channel output-coupling caps with SoniCap (Teflon-film) Platinums and 4 hi-Voltage-PS-bypass caps with Jupiter HTs and Platinums. This increased transparency and overall sound quality considerably.

This spring I replaced the center-channel output-coupling cap with a large MultiCap ('styrene) RTX with Platinum bypass, and that too improved sound quality.

I am very happy with the sounds of this preamp and my system with this in it; it's one of the now-several components I can't imagine ever replacing. If you enjoy multichannel music and movies, consider replacing your pre/pro with an MET1 from Spearit Sounds.

(1) I was a c-j dealer in the early to mid-'80s, and Lew Johnson remembers and, for some reason, likes me.
(2) ...an interesting name for a 6-channel preamp.
(3) The US equivalent is the 6C4, but I found them to be, generally, so microfonic they were unusable for audio.
(4) The only audio advisor who has a perfect record with me. That is, what he says will help does indeed sound better, and what he says probably won't work well proves, if I do it anyway, not to sound very good. I trust him.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The six-channel MET1

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr,
Awesome machine, congrats. Also, great review. The MET1 is such a beautiful piece of audio hardware. I think the design manages to hold that classic CJ look yet add some "pizazz" by having the tubes mounted in the front and exposed.

You also did some great upgrades to this already great machine. I'm glad to hear your getting your sonic enjoyment out of it!

I have heard about the "Ambient recovery mode" from other users, what's your opinion on this? How do you think it compares to other DSP's that convert stereo to multi-channel? I actually have never heard it and I am very interested as I often watch Laserdiscs that have 2 channel sound and I use DSP's to make it multichannel. My current favorite is THX neural 7.1 but my Onkyo obviously doesn't have the same as the MET1 so I can't compare.

Once again, thanks for great review article and pictures! And welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:jeffreybehr,
I have heard about the "Ambient recovery mode" from other users, what's your opinion on this? How do you think it compares to other DSP's that convert stereo to multi-channel? I actually have never heard it and I am very interested as I often watch Laserdiscs that have 2 channel sound and I use DSP's to make it multichannel. My current favorite is THX neural 7.1 but my Onkyo obviously doesn't have the same as the MET1 so I can't compare.
...and I have never heard the effects of any modern digital DSP. The c-j ARM does nothing to the 2 front main channels; it uses 5 small ICs to subtract left from right and send that to right-rear, subtract right from left and send that to left-rear, and combine left- and right-front and send most of that to center. When the levels of the additional channels are kept at a low volume, the result is quite nice and worth turning on. Playing music, I can't distinguish the specific sounds the ARM is creating, but when I turn it off, the ambience of the hall simply collapses. When listing to stereo TV broadcasts, the center dialog channel sounds very good. One nice thing about this all-analog preamp is that the interchannel levels are very-quickly adjustable, in both MC and ARM modes.

I love everything about this preamp and simply can't imagine replacing it.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had no idea that the design of CJ's ARM was so simple and elegant. I'm sure the DSP in most receivers use intricate computer code to take stereo to multichannel. I wonder if using all that raw processing power is better than the more basic CJ solution. I would love to do some comparisons of the two. At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if the CJ sounds better regardless due to it's superior quality.

Again, awesome review!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

I have the same ARM in my MAP1 and it very effective and not distracting or weird sounding at all. CJ is now offering a C1 upgrade for the MET! and the MAP1.
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclestu52 »

AS an aside I did a head t head comparison with the MET-1 against a Meitner. The CJ simply clobbered the Meitner in my listening: better detail, superior response, far greater dimensionality. Using Ray Kimber's four channel Iso mike recordings was actually hair raising in the presentation of the various ensembles. For a great test use the Roll Call of the vocal choir, a recording with the mike in the center of a circle of singers and the recording simply has them calling out their names. It not only tests the resolution of the system but also the placement of your speakers.

Stu
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

unclestu52 wrote:AS an aside I did a head t head comparison with the MET-1 against a Meitner. The CJ simply clobbered the Meitner in my listening: better detail, superior response, far greater dimensionality.
Stu
Interesting. Years ago the Arizona Audio Video Club did a preamp comparo that included my then-stock-and-only-about-a week-old MET1, a BAT VK50SE, a then-current H-CAT, and an Audio Research Reference Three, in 2-channel only, of course. I'm not going to say that the MET1 'won', but surely it was in the upper half of these 4. See more at
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?for ... =&session=

Since then my MET1 has gotten much more resolving. :mrgreen:
scottm_dj
Advanced
Advanced

Post by scottm_dj »

Looking at both this unit and the McCormack, as they are both available at a decent discount now (esp the CJ). I currently use an Oppo 95 analog connected directly to a Sherbourn 7-channel amp (7/2100a tank)--mainly in SACD/DVDA mode. The issue is that the variable volume of the 95 is compressed a little affecting the sound, so I've determined need a preamp to go between them. I also currently have a Marantz preamp (7005), but it is coloring the sound, so I'm looking for something more neutral. I also like the ARM feature of both these units in that i can only have native channel sound now (cannot expand two-channels) so would love to be able to expand them out a bit. They also have dual MC inputs as I may be picking up one of the new Oppos so I can route my HDMI components through it and hook both players in.

The McCormack is now available for about half the cost of the CJ (obviously tube vs solid state)...but is the CJ worth the extra $$ for my components? Both CJ/MC units are about 10 years old but all-analog audio was king around that timeframe (and coming around again). My amp weighs 100 lbs and isn't planning on being replaced anytime soon. The CJ sure does look classy with the lit tubes...that's for sure.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Scott:
1. I've never heard the McC preamp;
2. Loving the natural, right sounds of c-j preamps, I'd certainly spend a few-hundred dollars more to get better sounds in my MC system.
3. Only you can judge whether the rest of your system is up to the quality level of the MET1. You sound to me like a typical audiofool suffering seriously from audiofoolia, so this may be merely the 1st step of many upgrades.

Welcome to the Club. :D
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

scottm_dj wrote:Looking at both this unit and the McCormack, as they are both available at a decent discount now (esp the CJ). I currently use an Oppo 95 analog connected directly to a Sherbourn 7-channel amp (7/2100a tank)--mainly in SACD/DVDA mode. The issue is that the variable volume of the 95 is compressed a little affecting the sound, so I've determined need a preamp to go between them. I also currently have a Marantz preamp (7005), but it is coloring the sound, so I'm looking for something more neutral. I also like the ARM feature of both these units in that i can only have native channel sound now (cannot expand two-channels) so would love to be able to expand them out a bit. They also have dual MC inputs as I may be picking up one of the new Oppos so I can route my HDMI components through it and hook both players in.

The McCormack is now available for about half the cost of the CJ (obviously tube vs solid state)...but is the CJ worth the extra $$ for my components? Both CJ/MC units are about 10 years old but all-analog audio was king around that timeframe (and coming around again). My amp weighs 100 lbs and isn't planning on being replaced anytime soon. The CJ sure does look classy with the lit tubes...that's for sure.
I have the Map-1 with the Oppo BDP-95 I am using a CJ Met-150 amp. I have not heard a MET-1 but based on what I've heard from 2 channel CJ preamps I would say it's worth the difference in price. I would say the MET-1 would be a little warmer and more natural sounding with better imaging and soundstage depth. The Map-1 sound very good no harshness or brightness at all. The Met-1 has much better parts that the Map-1 but then again it's retail price was 3 times the Map-1.
Malcolm02
Regular
Regular

Post by Malcolm02 »

Hi everyone,
I am a new c-j owner and I came across this site.

I just ordered and received a new MET1 from Spearit sound. I notice they are not listing it new any more (just a refurb one) so I guess I got the last one.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, in the system listed below. It's working great, no problems so far. I don't know why there aren't more multi channel preamps out there.

I basically just wanted to introduce myself to the group, but if anyone would care to answer a couple of questions, I would be interested to hear:

1) How often do you replace the tubes? The manual says 2-3 years in normal use, but they don't say what "normal use" is. The web site says 1500 hours for preamps, which is less than what I was expecting. Seeing as I'm going to be using this unit for everything - music, movies, TV - I expect to be putting several hours a day on it.

2) How long did it take to break in and what kind of changes did you hear?

Cheers,

Malcolm

Oppo BDP-105 universal player
Conrad Johnson MET1 6 channel tube preamp
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 channel power amp
Von Schweikert speakers: VR-33 mains, Unifield 1 center, TS-150 surrounds
REL T1 subwoofer
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Malcom02,
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you! Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup over there! If you have a chance maybe you can post some pictures of your setup in the "Member Systems Gallery" forum?

As for your questions:

1) Tube wear-out is highly variable in my experience. 1500 hours seems like a very short estimate. I have read numbers that tubes on average should last about 5,000 hours. Once again, this is highly variable as I have heard stories of tubes starting to give hum and microphonics even after a short period of use, and then others that have been using the same tube for decades without any problem. If you find that you start hearing hum or other sonic artifacts then it may be time to change the tubes. I'm not completely familiar with the MET1 but since it's multi channel you may start noticing a difference in one specific channel and that would be a signal that it's time to change a tube.

2) Again, I can't speak directly to the MET1 but most tube based equipment start sounding there best after about 50-100 hours of use (same for speakers). This is also highly variable. I think it depends on the specific equipment in your setup and the actual tubes you got that is going to determine how much of a burn-in difference you will appreciate.

Once again, welcome to CJO, it's great to have you!
-admin
bebop86
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bebop86 »

Hello- New member here with a question- I am looking for a great sounding processor for sacd and mostly movies- I have a fully treated room and am running a full 7.4 ATC active system- Would this unit be a good fit for me running the Oppo 105 directly into the MEt-1 and letting the Oppo do all the latest coding or am I better off getting a separate processor- My 2 channel is being handled by the ayon CD-5 - Open to all opinions as I am looking to get the best sound out of movies and dvda/sacd- It seems most of the processors out there do more than I need as I do not need room correction or various inputs- thanks again
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Bebop, I decided years ago that the DACs, etc., within discplayers are plenty good enough for my requirements, so I've NEVER bought a separate DAC. The Oppo '105 has the best DACs money can buy, so why spend THOUSAND$ for a separate pre/pro?

I think the MET1 will work very well with your 7.4-channel system as long as you don't need XLR connectors and balanced cable.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bepop86,
Welcome to the site. I think I have to agree with jefferybehr. The MET1 is an excellent preamp and you will be very happy with the sound. However, it is more of an analog preamp, so you will have more success with using the DAC in your oppo 105 (which is one of the best DAC's available). Just run the analog outs from the oppo to the MET1. The only thing that may be a limiting factor is that the MET1 is a 5.1 preamp so if you really need a 7.1 preamp it may be a problem. The "x.4" is not an issue as you can just use Y-splitters for the subs as it's the same signal for all of them.
-admin
bebop86
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bebop86 »

uggh-did not realize that- i do need the 7.1 preamp- what suggestions would you make for a processor for movies- again 2 channel is separate handled by the Ayon CD_5- thanks so much for the advice- also what about using the oppo as a processor and just run the ATC active speakers directly to the oppo- ????
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

bebop86 wrote:uggh-did not realize that- i do need the 7.1 preamp- what suggestions would you make for a processor for movies- again 2 channel is separate handled by the Ayon CD_5- thanks so much for the advice- also what about using the oppo as a processor and just run the ATC active speakers directly to the oppo- ????
If you are willing to spend that kind of money and will be bypassing it for two channel, why not get a pre/pro, even if it has features you don't need? I have the Onkyo PR-SC5508 and it is great for home theater. It will handle up to nine channels plus two separately calibrated sub channels. The DAC in it is no slouch either. You would be surprised at how well the latest iteration of Audyssey correction works (the one with XT32 in the name), particular with lower frequency room correction. I don't use Audyssey for two channel, but definitely use it for movies. The new flagship Marantz AV8801 looks excellent as well, though twice the money. Then there are pre/pros like Anthem, etc. Worth a bit of research, IMO.

.........Peter
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
runmeshawltd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by runmeshawltd »

Hello everyone, just found this forum didn't know it even existed. I have a CJ Met1 also and had a quick question for anyone who can help. I decided to intergrate my 2 channel stereo and home theatre into one system. I have an Emotiva UMC-1 processor for movies. I have it connected 6 channel RCA to the MET1. For my music i have everything that i play 2 channel connected directly to the MET1. Im building a Tuba HT subwoofer to use with music and movies. The problem i have right now with my current subwoofer is that i can only use it when i watch movies and not for music. I want to change that when i put the new subwoofer in. Does anyone know how i can integrate it this way into my system. System specs are below. I take it the when you connect to one of the 2 channel inputs on the MET1 it doesn't send the low frequency to the subwoofer output on the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Avantgarde Uno 2.1 speakers
Avantgarde Solo center speaker
Yamamoto A08S power amp
CJ MET1 preamp
Emotiva UMC-1 processor
Basis 1800 turntable
Jasmine 2.0 MKII Phone stage
Mac Mini with modded power supply
Twin Impact with modded power supply DAC
PS Audio Power Plant Premier regenerator

Also my new subwoofer will have an external amp/crossover so i can connect it with RCA line level or the LFE channel.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bebop86 wrote:uggh-did not realize that- i do need the 7.1 preamp- what suggestions would you make for a processor for movies- again 2 channel is separate handled by the Ayon CD_5- thanks so much for the advice- also what about using the oppo as a processor and just run the ATC active speakers directly to the oppo- ????
If you are looking for a processor that will handle all the latest codecs and have tons of dsp options, the best bet is going with one of the popular brands but their high end models. I have two seperate setups, one for movies (7.1) and one for audio (2.0). Onkyo and Pioneer sell some nice receivers that will "do everything" including some nice video scaler chips, descent DACs, plenty of connections, etc. I would not go below their 1-2 top units however as you quickly get into "walmart quality" territory rather quickly. Even the lower units in Pioneer's "Elite" line are pretty terrible. I think the oppo has volume control so technically you can run it directly into an amplifier but I think the max volume is "line level" so you won't get it to play too loud. You can definitely try it out.
runmeshawltd wrote:Hello everyone, just found this forum didn't know it even existed. I have a CJ Met1 also and had a quick question for anyone who can help. I decided to intergrate my 2 channel stereo and home theatre into one system. I have an Emotiva UMC-1 processor for movies. I have it connected 6 channel RCA to the MET1. For my music i have everything that i play 2 channel connected directly to the MET1. Im building a Tuba HT subwoofer to use with music and movies. The problem i have right now with my current subwoofer is that i can only use it when i watch movies and not for music. I want to change that when i put the new subwoofer in. Does anyone know how i can integrate it this way into my system. System specs are below. I take it the when you connect to one of the 2 channel inputs on the MET1 it doesn't send the low frequency to the subwoofer output on the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Avantgarde Uno 2.1 speakers
Avantgarde Solo center speaker
Yamamoto A08S power amp
CJ MET1 preamp
Emotiva UMC-1 processor
Basis 1800 turntable
Jasmine 2.0 MKII Phone stage
Mac Mini with modded power supply
Twin Impact with modded power supply DAC
PS Audio Power Plant Premier regenerator

Also my new subwoofer will have an external amp/crossover so i can connect it with RCA line level or the LFE channel.
Welcome to the site!
As for integrating your sub into your system with both music and theater you have several options. You can run the LFE "X.1" channel RCA right out of your preamp into the subwoofer. As for the 2 channel stereo mix you either have to have the preamp pull the LFE out of the stereo signal (I'm not sure if the Emotiva can do that) and feed it to the sub, or you can hook up the sub as a pass through (either through the speaker wire to the L and R fronts, or with the RCA L and R front channels) and have the sub "pull" the below 80 hz signal off of these. I hope that made sense. :)
-admin
runmeshawltd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by runmeshawltd »

Thanks for the knowledge! I definitely don't want my signal going through the emotiva for 2 channel music. I think your 2nd recommendation of taking the L and R rca's out from my MET1 into the subwoofer and then using the RCA pass through on the subs to my yamamoto amplifier. Do you think going through the pass through connection will degrade the sound at all. Also does the LFE signal have different bass information than the L/R speakers? Another option would be for me to get a Y connector to hook up to my L/R outputs instead of using the pass through on the subwoofer amp. What do you think would be best to not degrade the sound, my avantgarde horns are pretty revealing. Thanks!!