Conrad Johnson Premier 14 > ET3SE Preamplifier

The PV-1 to now...
Secretariat
Regular
Regular

Conrad Johnson Premier 14 > ET3SE Preamplifier

Post by Secretariat »

I've been using the Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Pre-Amplifier since 1997 and I am very happy with it. Anyway, lately, I am thinking of upgrading to the ET3SE Pre-Amplifier. For those of you out there, who have had experiences with both of these Pre-Amplifiers, what is the difference between their sonic characters. Is the ET3SE so much better than the Premier 14 that it is worth upgrading?
Thanks in advance.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Conrad Johnson Premier 14 > ET3SE Preamplifier

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah the premier 14! Now that's one classic preamp from CJ indeed.

I sincerely think upgrading to a ET3SE will not be an "upgrade" rather a newer product in preamp SE version offered by CJ.
If you're looking for a "real upgrade" from the premier 14, I would aim for the GAT or ACT2.

I would recommend keeping the premier 14 for as long as it lasts, and upgrading the caps + resistors as time goes by, that would be an actual sonic upgrade to Vishay resistors, and more Teflon caps. Sending the unit to CJ for the upgrade would be the best way to go. It will cost you a fair bit but truly worth every penny when you get to experience what CJ can do with their premier line.

The ET3 is not of premier standard, the SE version adds a little more finesse and refinement to the soundstage but that's about all.
Also the ET3 doesn't have balance control, this may be useful in certain circumstances or when testing channels.

Your premier 14 is far more dynamic, capable of capturing all the inner details and subtle nuances of music, plus delivers a superb 3-D ambience to spatial cues and also captures the subtle shades of music from reference recordings that are delivered from high quality line stage pre-amplification that performs beautifully.

In my opinion you may not be so thrilled with the ET3/SE but GAT or ACT2 yes!
Cheers, RJ
Secretariat
Regular
Regular

Post by Secretariat »

So even the ET5 is not an upgrade from the premier 14?
Thanks.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

This is a very important area of the system, to get that pre-power amp match or at least perfect match to control the speakers and reproduce clean, linear dynamics without strain... very hard to get right, even if it means spending more. This is what I have learned over the decades.

I am not saying that an older Prem 14 would be "better" than the ET5. There is no such thing as "better", it is rather a system synergy that goes on between components that gives this overall balance and superb performance in sound. I know a few die hard fans of tube preamps and they still retain their ART preamps stating that nothing comes close, not even the GAT.

There are people on this forum who still use their PV12 simply because the PV12 gives them that superb synergy between pre and power amplification that even upgrading towards a middle step, such as the ET5, would not be justified in dollars. However, if your considering a major upgrade in overall performance, soundwise plus the full presentation to another level then it is no doubt the GAT or ACT2 in series 2 versions, where nearly every component has been changed in order to achieve this level of sonic purity.

Therefore, already having a CJ premier product, might as well upgrade those very same components as similarly done on the newer models and version 2's, providing far better value in overall spend. Of course if you have the means, by all go for the top of line.
When you're looking at the GATS2, for that kind of money there are other very well known contenders, such as VTL, ARC, Lamm and Pass Labs.

The original premier products designed and built by CJ back in the hay day were truly of premier standard. The new ET series preamps are not but the SE versions are. Thereby introducing standard versions to larger audiences in order to capture more market share in the highend. Keeping the SE version to limited production numbers because these are not viable to produce in the long run. Hence, only a few well off folks would actually spend on a top line preamp equivalent to that of a family size sedan...

If CJ and the well other established brands offered these top of the line units without a limited production run, you will find their production moving to China, and there goes QC...

I sincerely feel that the prem 14 is a very special kind of premap designed and built to perform at a particular level of sonic finesse, similar to other CJ premier standard units offered during that time. The newer versions are more affordable now and are offered to a larger market, as I mentioned. Therefore, I don't believe even the ET5 would be a true justified upgrade from the Prem 14.

I have listened to all of these preamps on my own system with Quads- ESL2905 (whiles they were working...) and in all my listening tests, the only preamps that stood out that made the greatest impression were: ACT2/S2, Classic Pre, PV12, ART, and GAT/S2.

Of course the other premier pre's such as the LS16,17 and so on were in a class of their own, and had a special sound of their own. All of these older iterations were outclassed by the ART. My old pops had the Apogee Diva's driven with top of the line ARC & Krell Class A monoblocks (limited special edition) partnered with the ART pre. This was the one and only ART pre ever to set foot in our home country. Prior to this it was the Prem 14, and in a top notch system, the Prem 14 can really shine like no other. I can proudly say this because I used to listen to the system quite often...

Then again, like I have said many times, don't go by just what others claim nor by reviews, after all these guys get paid for reviews and top notch ratings. I would strongly advice that you actually audition to be your own judge, preferably in your own system or one that is fairly similar. That way you would be able to understand the variances between the original CJ premier standard and the newer versions currently being offered.

When I refer to "original", I mean original "premier standard" that classed CJ in a special category of highend audio. Now CJ offers various products and I am not quite sure which ones are premier and which are standard. They all seem to be the same to me, with SE versions offered as and when the owner wishes...
RJ